Academic program review provides an opportunity for the institution to use a data-driven process to review academic programs and to reflect on what the faculty would like to achieve in the next year. Evaluating teaching and learning leads to improved student learning outcomes and is emphasized by Wright State University's accrediting body, the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), in criterion four. Annually, all programs and departments will measure one or more program outcomes. We will measure all program outcomes within five years.
During the 2018–19 academic year, all departments submitted assessment plans completed between 2015–17, and faculty submitted five-year assessment plans. All assessment plans are available in a university SharePoint, and the results will be incorporated into the required 2019–20 program review.
The program review process from 2013–16 is different from the current review for several reasons:
- The Assurance of Learning Committee evaluated programs rather than faculty associated with the departments.
- Faculty members gathered their own quantitative and qualitative data.
- Review reports varied across disciplines.
- Interdisciplinary programs and certificates were not reviewed.
- There was no systemic procedure for the annual assessment of the program review cycle.
- The program review and planning were not connected to institutional effectiveness as required by the HLC.
The current program process will include several improvements:
- It will incorporate annual assessment, student success, and financial revenue and expenses.
- Quantitative data will be provided to programs by the Office of Institutional Research and Office of the Controller.
- Faculty will supplement quantitative data with discussion and explanation of program outcomes.
- Planning recommendations will come from the program, chair, college, dean, and provost levels.
- Programs will continue to assess one or more learning outcomes annually based on assessment plans.
The current review process started in August 2019 as part of the HLC report due June 29, 2020. All department chairs can access the review template and instructions.
- January 20, 2020—Program directors submit program reviews to chairs.
- February 7, 2020—Chairs submit program reviews to their dean and college program review committee.
- February 21, 2020—College program review committee will submit reviews to college deans.
- March 6, 2020—Deans will submit reviews to the provost.
- April 3, 2020—Provost will submit reviews to the president.
Assessment workshops are available for each college and an additional workshop is scheduled for January 8 from 9 to 11 a.m. in 031 Millett Hall.