Coronavirus Update

Classes will be held remotely for the remainder of the spring semester, and all official university events and student activities are suspended until further notice. While the Dayton and Lake campuses remain open, access to campus is restricted to personnel who have been identified as essential. Read more.

Career Services

Hiring Process

On this page:

The Constitutional Amendment passed by Ohio voters in November 2006 states that Ohio's minimum wage rate shall be increased on the first day of the following January, by the rate of inflation, according to the Consumer Price Index.

As a result, the minimum wage for Wright State student workers will increase to $8.70 per hour effective with the payroll period beginning December 28, 2019. Any student employee currently earning less than new minimum wage will automatically receive an increase to $8.70 per hour beginning December 28, 2019.

Questions? Contact

Assignment of Student Employment to Budgetary Accounts

Organization and fund codes to which student employee wages are to be allocated must be documented on each student employment authorization form. Student employment authorization forms submitted without the organization and fund codes cannot be accepted or processed by Career Services staff.

A request to transfer a student employee from one organization and fund code to another must be submitted in writing, by a departmental authority, to Career Services.

It is the responsibility of the department representative to notify Career Services staff of an organization and fund code termination at least one month prior to the account's termination. Lack of notification may result in incorrect allocation of student wages.

Calculating Federal Work-Study Student Work Hours

A pay period spans two weeks. There are 18 pay periods in Fall and Spring Semesters combined and 26 pay periods in Fall, Spring and Summer Semesters combined (including all breaks).

To avoid exceeding a student's available work-study amount, complete the following calculation for the maximum number of hours per pay period that the student can work:

  • Total work-study award/pay rate/pay periods expected to work = hours the student can work in one pay period.
  • Example: $4,000/$8.70/18 pay periods = 25.5 hours each pay period (12.75 hours per week).

Supervisors: How to Calculate Summer Student Wages, including OPERS

How to calculate, for each student, the number of student wages needed:

  • For students with half-time (part-time) credit hours (a minimum of six undergraduate; three graduate): rate of pay X number of hours X number of summer weeks
  • For students with less than half-time (part-time) credit hours (fewer than six undergraduate; three graduate): rate of pay X number of hours X number of summer weeks X 14.67 percent OPERS benefit rate

Sick, Vacation, Holiday Pay, and Unemployment Compensation

Student employees are not entitled to sick, vacation, or holiday pay. If a student works on a holiday, the student will receive the usual hourly rate for all hours worked. According to Ohio Revised Code 4141, student employment is not considered employment for the purposes of unemployment compensation eligibility.

Employment During University Breaks

Undergraduate and graduate students may work during breaks if they are registered for the semester immediately following the break.

Undergraduate and graduate students may work Summer Semester without being registered for at least half-time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours) if, and only if, they are pre-registered for Fall Semester. This option is also at the discretion of the supervisor, as it requires an additional contribution to the state retirement system.

Maximum Working Hours

Students may work a maximum of 28 hours per week for all jobs combined.

Exceptions to Working Hours Policy

  1. Students using Federal Work-Study in an off-campus tutoring program may only work 20 hours per week.
  2. International students may work 20 hours a week during the weeks of an academic semester, including exam week.
  3. International students may work 28 hours a week during their international student Academic semester break (as it occurs in the Summer, Fall or Spring Semester) if they are pre-registered for the required hours for the upcoming semester immediately following their break.

Additional International Student Regulations

International students who are registered as full-time (12 or more undergraduate; 6 or more graduate credit hours) may never exceed 20 hours per week, at any time, per immigration regulations [8 C.F.R. § 214.2(f) (9) (i)]. International students who exceed the maximum allowable work hours, will be terminated immediately from all student employment positions and will remain terminated for a period of time, often 10 weeks or more, or terminated permanently, based on University Center for International Education (UCIE) determination.

International students are allowed to take their official international student academic semester break during any semester (does not have to be summer). This official break must be approved by the University Center of International Education (UCIE). Then, to be eligible for student employment, the student must bring to Career Services the F1 or J1 reduction course load certification given to them by UCIE.

Student Employment Maximum Working Hours Summation Table

Student Type

Fall and Spring Semesters

Summer Semester

Exam Week During Fall and Spring Semesters

University Breaks

University Center for International Education (UCIE) Official Break

Domestic Students

28 hours

28 hours, if:
registered at least half-time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours) for Summer semester
pre-registered at least half-time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours) for Fall semester.

28 hours

28 hours if pre-registered for the following semester

Not applicable

International Students

20 hours

20 hours if registered full-time (12 or more undergraduate; 6 or more graduate credit hours) for Summer semester;
28 hours if registered at least half-time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours) for Summer semester;
28 hours if registered for 0 credit hours for Summer semester but registered for at least half-time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours) for Fall semester.

20 hours

28 hours if pre-registered for the following semester

28 hours

Rehire Process and Student Eligibility

Summer Rehire

Rehiring Student Employee(s) for Summer Semester 2019 (PDF)

Supervisors: How to calculate OPERS impact for Summer

Fall Rehire Process and Student Eligibility

To be eligible to be processed as a fall rehire student employee, a student:

  1. Must be registered for fall semester classes.
  2. Meet the minimum required number of credit hours, and
  3. If offered Federal Work-Study in the financial aid package, must have accepted or declined their award.

In the middle of the summer semester, Career Services will send supervisors a blank fall rehire form to complete, identifying all the student employees who will be rehired with the start of the Fall Semester. Students whose names are submitted on a fall rehire form do not have to bring an authorization form to student employment.

Any student on the form who will be employed for the fall semester but has not pre-registered for Fall Semester classes by the designated date for eligibility must submit a student employment authorization form in person during student employment processing hours.

    Student Completion of Web Time Entry and Access to Pay Stubs

    Students are paid bi-weekly. Pay periods begin on Saturday and end on Friday. The Pay Period End Date is the date by which web time entry of hours must be completed.

    It is recommended that student employees enter their hours each day, as the hours are worked.

    The pay period schedule may be altered due to holidays, closures, or other circumstances, as needed.

    Updates are posted to the online pay period schedule. Check frequently.

    Pay Period Schedule (login with your student w-name)

    Electronic time sheets are completed and submitted online in WINGS Express.

    The payroll department requires all student employees to use online time entry or may use paper time cards, only if the payroll department or student employment grants an exception. Blank time cards are available on the payroll forms, FAQs, and links page.

    A student that has not enrolled in direct deposit may pick up the first paycheck in payroll, 301 University Hall. The student must have a picture ID. After the first paycheck, all other paychecks will be mailed to the student’s permanent address. The student is responsible for updates to their permanent address.

    A Web Time Entry Video, provided by Computing and Telecommunications Services (CaTS), is available to train supervisors and student employees on the process of electronically entering time worked.

    CaTS also provides a video training to teach student employees how to print their pay stub.

    Students are required to set up direct deposit when they are initially hired. Pay remittance advice—pay stubs—are available online in WINGS Express. Students log on to the secure website by using the assigned UID and PIN. Students can obtain help accessing this site from the CaTS Help Desk at (937) 775-4827.

      Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS)

      Section 145.03, Ohio Revised Code, states that students who are employed with the school, college, or university where they are enrolled and regularly attending classes may choose to be exempt from the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System of Ohio by signing a Request For Optional Exemption As A Student (F-3) within the first month of employment and filing the Request with OPERS. An exemption will remain valid as long as the student continues to be employed by and attending the school which certifies the F-3; changing positions or departments within the institution does not affect the exemption.

      The language found in Section 145.03 Ohio Revised Code, is intended to parallel the exemption for students found in the Internal Revenue Code for Social Security purposes. There should never be a situation in which a student exempted from OPERS membership would be subject to Social Security coverage. If a student who meets the student exemption requirement is working for a school, college or university, the student will contribute to neither OPERS nor to Social Security. If OPERS requirements are not met, the student must contribute to OPERS, not to Social Security.

      To maintain OPERS exemption status during summer semester, student employees must be enrolled at least half-time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours). Students may work during summer semester if they are not enrolled for classes; however, this option is at the discretion of the supervisor, as it requires contributions to OPERS by the department as well as by the student employee. Student employees who need to enroll in OPERS for summer semester should visit the Student Employment Office prior to the beginning of summer semester to complete the necessary forms.

      A student may receive a refund from OPERS if:

      1. Three months have passed from the end of contributing service;
      2. The student has not returned to contributing service; and
      3. The student is not a member of the State Teachers Retirement System or School Employees Retirement System.