Human Resources

Qualifying Life Event: Divorce

On this page:

If you and your spouse are going through the divorce process, the following items will help with the transition.


Divorce is considered a “qualifying life event” in terms of your benefits. This means you can update your benefit enrollments within thirty-one (31) days of the divorce without having to wait for the next open enrollment period.

Medical, Dental, Vision, and Prescription Benefits

Effective on the date of the divorce, your spouse will no longer be eligible for benefits. You must submit the Health Insurance Enrollment/Change Form (PDF) within thirty-one (31) days of the divorce. The enrollment form must indicate the official event date and supporting court documentation will be required. Your spouse will be notified of eligibility to enroll in COBRA benefits; a current home address for your spouse is needed to send this notification.  

Flexible Spending Account

You may elect to participate in or change the amount you contribute to your Health Care and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA). In order to do this, you need to submit a Flexible Spending Account Election/Change Form (PDF) within thirty-one (31) days of the divorce.

Life Insurance

You should review the Voluntary Term or Group Universal Life Insurance coverage purchased for yourself and Voluntary Dependent Life Insurance coverage for your child(ren). Be sure to update the beneficiaries indicated on your life insurance policy by completing a Beneficiary Designation Form.


Contact your retirement vendor to verify and/or update your beneficiary designations. You will also need to notify your vendor of an address or name change. Contact information for the Retirement Vendors may be found on this site.

Fee Remission

Your spouse will no longer be eligible for fee remission, take time to review and update dependents listed under your fee remission coverage. Complete the Dependent Statement for Fee Remission Authorization (PDF) to update eligible dependents.

Employee Assistance Program

Divorce can be a very emotional and stressful process. The Employee Assistance Program is a free benefit that offers confidential counseling and referral services to you, your household, and dependents living away from home.  


You should revisit your Federal (W-4)State (IT-4), and local tax documents to ensure you are claiming the correct number of allowances and exemptions. Submit any changes to our Payroll Department, 202 University Hall.  

Personal Information

Name and Address Change

Complete the Address/Name Change Form (PDF) to update your name, address and emergency contact information. If you are changing your name, you will be asked to provide a social security card indicating the new name for verification purposes. Visit the Name/Address Change section of Life Events for important additional information.

Direct Deposit

If you are changing bank accounts or want to change your direct deposit set-up, complete a Direct Deposit Form (PDF) (Campus username and password required to access this form) and submit it to the Payroll Department in 202 University Hall.