On this page:
This Emergency Action Plan (EAP) is intended to provide Wright State University faculty, staff, and students’ actions to take if they become aware of any member of the Wright State community that may possibly be missing.
This EAP applies to all faculty, staff, and students at the Dayton campus. This applies to all Wright State property, owned or leased, except the Lake Campus. It also applies to all students, whether a resident student or in off-campus housing.
Missing Person: an individual whose whereabouts are unknown; they have disappeared for no known reason and there is reasonable concern for their well-being and safety.
Off-campus student: a student who does not live in university-controlled housing facilities.
Resident student: a student who lives in university-controlled housing facilities.
Notification of a Missing Person
Failure to attend classes or campus functions, and missed appointments, may be signs of a possible problem. If a student or employee is believed to be missing and there is reasonable concern for his or her well-being and safety, the University Police must be contacted immediately.
If a member of the Wright State University community has reason to believe that a Wright State University faculty, staff, or student is missing; immediately notify Wright State Police at 937-775-2111 or 911 from a university phone.
Missing Person Contacts
Residence Life and Housing provides the option for resident students to provide a contact solely for missing person’s purposes. Contact Residence Life and Housing for additional information at 937-775-4172.
If a resident student is determined to be missing, the university will notify any contact provided by the student to Residence Life and Housing. If the student is under 18 years of age and is not emancipated, Wright State University must also notify a custodial parent or guardian within 24 hours of the determination that the student is missing.
Contact information provided to Residence Life and Housing will be maintained in a confidential database, accessible to authorized users only, and will not be disclosed except to law enforcement during a missing person investigation.
All faculty, staff, and students have a responsibility to report if a resident student is suspected of being missing. Contact Wright State Police at 937-775-2111 or 911 from a university phone.
All faculty, staff, and students have a responsibility to report an off-campus student that is suspected of being missing. Contact Wright State Police at 937-775-2111 or 911 from a university phone.
Faculty and Staff
If there is any reason to believe that a faculty or staff member is missing you should contact Wright State Police at 937-775-2111 immediately.
Once university police determine or suspect that an individual is missing, university police will conduct the following activities as appropriate or necessary:
- Collect all other pertinent information about the missing person and conduct interviews if necessary.
- Notify the appropriate federal, state, and local officials using official notification procedures and university police policies.
- Notify the appropriate university administrators and law enforcement officials if suspicious circumstances are involved or if the person’s physical or mental health is in jeopardy.
- Involve external law enforcement and emergency response agencies as appropriate to assist in locating the missing individual.
- Conduct a search of university property and surrounding areas.
- Notify the Office of Housing and Residence Life and request assistance from staff, if the individual is a student resident.
- Contact all local hospitals, detention centers, and police agencies to inquire about the individual.
- Complete an official police investigation.
- Contact the emergency contact(s) identified by the employee or student.