Chem/Bio/Rad Material Spill or Release
On this page:
- Report a Spill or Release
- Inside a building
- Major Transportation Incident
- If you witness or become aware of a chemical or hazardous material release
- If you are exposed to the chemical/hazardous material
Report a Spill or Release
Call 911 on-campus phone or 937-775-2111 on cell or off-campus phone to report any known or suspected accidental or intentional spill or release.
Follow instructions given by emergency response personnel.
Inside a building
- Evacuate the immediate area, closing doors to the area where possible.
- Someone familiar with the situation should meet emergency response personnel outside the building.
- If injuries or suspected exposure to the materials, inform emergency response personnel that medical assistance is needed.
- DO NOT re-enter the area until instructed by emergency response personnel.
- DO NOT attempt to clean up chemical/hazardous material unless directed by Environmental Health and Safety staff.
Major Transportation Incident
- Releases may occur during material transfer procedures or as a result of an accident/crash involving
- An aircraft
- Highway traffic
If you witness or become aware of a chemical or hazardous material release
- Call 911 on-campus phone or 937-775-2111 on cell or off-campus phone.
- You may be instructed to
- Seek shelter in the closest building or remain in your building. (See Sheltering in Place)
- Evacuate. (See Evacuation Procedures)
- Make sure you get upwind of the incident scene as quickly as possible.
- If getting upwind is not possible, move laterally away.
- DO NOT move downwind of the scene.
If you are exposed to the chemical/hazardous material
- Make use of the nearest emergency shower and/or eyewash if available. The location of your nearest emergency shower/eyewash is (write-in location below):
- Cover your mouth and nose with layers of cloth (handkerchief, towel, etc.),
- Move as far away from the source of contamination as possible.
- Wash with soap and water.
- Remove contaminated clothing as soon as possible.
- Call 911 on-campus phone or 937-775-2111 on cell or off-campus phone and report your exposure.