On this page:
The indoor climbing facility is FREE for students with a current Wright1 Card and staff, faculty, and alumni who are members of our fitness center. Currently, we are only accepting current students, staff, and faculty. Once we reopen to the public, there is a $5 daily guest fee. All guests must be accompanied by a current Wright1 Cardholder. Children 12 and under climb free with a Wright State Fitness Center member and must be accompanied by an adult. The gym accommodates climbers of all levels from beginner to advanced. The gym has eight top rope sites and a minimum of two routes per rope at all times. For those not interested in roping up, there is also a 14-foot bouldering wall.
Sign in at the Outdoor Resource Center, 037 Student Union
First-time climbers must bring a photo ID and Wright1 Card to sign in. You must review Climbing Gym Rules (PDF) before climbing.
Hours of Operation
Spring Semester 2021: Mondays–Fridays: 3:30–7:30 p.m.
Until further notice, the following are the procedures and policies for entering our facility to ensure the health and safety of all our patrons.
- Users must check in with their active Wright1 Card in the Outdoor Resource Center, 037 Student Union. First-time users will need to bring a photo ID that verifies they are at least 18 years old.
- If you are unable to attend your reserved time, please cancel on imleagues.com. Failure to show may result in lost privileges in the future, as spaces are limited.
- Reservations must be made on IMLeagues. Follow this how-to instructional video for assistance. Rock wall reservations are in the Outdoor Rec tab.
- When registering your account, please use your @wright.edu email.
- Reservations start at 3:30 p.m.
- Registration is limited to 6 people every 30 minutes.
- Reservations may be made up to one day in advance.
Please follow university protocols for COVID-19 including:
- Conduct a daily health assessment prior to attending reservation. Temperatures should not exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit. For a list of other symptoms, please consult the CDC
- Wear a face covering at all times, even when climbing.
- Properly worn coverings cover both your mouth and nose.
- Maintain social distancing by remaining at least 6 feet from other individuals.
- Wash or sanitize hands before and after each climb.
- Sanitize shoes upon entry to the climbing gym (cleaner will be provided).
- Loose chalk is not permitted in our climbing gym. Liquid chalk may be used if desired.
Campus Recreation has the right to refuse service to anyone exhibiting symptoms or not following protocols.
All equipment needed to climb at our gym is available onsite.
Harnesses are available at no cost in the Outdoor Resource Center.
Shoe rentals cost $1.
Gri Gri’s are the only belay devices permitted, and you must use ours.
Liquid chalk is permitted. No loose chalk.
Free Climbing Shoe Rentals:
Mondays: Freshmen & Sophomores
Wednesdays: Juniors & Seniors
Thursdays: Graduate Students
Or, receive one free shoe rental if you show us you liked our social media pages or joined our Discord!
- Tuesdays from 4 - 6 p.m.
- Fridays from 4 - 6 p.m.
FREE for Wright State students.
The first time you climb in the Campus Recreation Climbing Gym, you are required to sign a risk waiver. You must be 18 years or older to sign the waiver or be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. A picture identification card with your birthdate listed is required to sign the waiver; your Wright1 Card is also required to be shown at your initial visit. The first time you climb with us, we will issue you a personal climbing card. Each time you come and climb you will check-in at the Outdoor Resource Center to pick up your card. If you choose not to wear climbing shoes, you must wear close-toed athletic shoes. If you wear Wright State climbing shoes, you must wear/bring socks.
Climbing Card Process
After you have registered to climb in our gym, you will be issued a Red Card. Every time you come to climb, your Red Card will be hole-punched.
After climbing three times, you will be required to take a free belay class.
Upon completion of the belay class, you will take a belay test. If you don't pass the belay test, you may re-test at least 24 hours later.
When you pass the belay test, you will receive a Yellow Card.
With your Yellow Card, you will belay a patron properly five times while a staff member oversees.
After five proper belays, you receive a Green Card.
A Green Card means you can belay others in the Climbing Gym during open hours without staff overseeing. Yay!
Groups may reserve the climbing wall during hours the wall is not open. Reservations should be made a minimum of 2 weeks in advance. Reservations will be resumed in summer 2021.
|Group Size||Wright State Pricing||Public Pricing|
Discounts may be available dependent on the number of current Wright State belay certified members in your group.
Send Request Form/Contract Information Form to Erin Sherrets at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the climbing wall. Any questions call 937-775-5019