Wright State University recognizes the importance of privacy and is committed to protecting the personal information of our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests. This Privacy Statement explains the type of personal information Wright State collects through its technology services (e.g. University websites (i.e. wright.edu), web forms, chatbots, email, mobile apps, content available through feeds like RSS) and how that information is used. Some areas of Wright State may have a different and specific privacy statement for their services (e.g. the Bursar, University Registrar), and those privacy statements can be found on the appropriate website where applicable or will be provided directly to you electronically or on paper when appropriate.
Collection of Personal Information
From You or at Your Direction
Wright State receives personal information from multiple sources, most often directly from you or from a third party whom you have directed to provide information to Wright State (e.g., application for admission to Wright State through the use of the Common App).
Publicly Facing Technology Services
Wright State’s publicly facing technology services (e.g., websites, student information system, learning management system, and similar) collect personal information that you knowingly and voluntarily provide when completing applications and forms, sending emails, registering for classes or other programs, responding to surveys, or ordering merchandise. Your personal information can be used to contact and/or provide you with the needed information, products, or services, as well as helping to enhance your experience with the University’s resources and technology services. The collected information may include, without limitation:
- The IP address from which you access our website
- The name of the domain from which you access the Internet
- The type of browser and operating system used to access our website
- The date and time you access our website
- The pages, files, documents, and links that you visit
- The Internet address of the website from which you linked to this website
- Personal information collected through third-party aggregators, such as Google Analytics, which includes age, gender, and geographic information.
When you view our website, we may store some information on your computer in the form of a cookie. Cookies allow us to tailor our website to better match your interests and preferences. Cookies typically collect non-personally identifiable information to better understand the browsing behaviors of all users to make online ad experiences more relevant and engaging. You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser settings to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience all the features and content of our website.
How We Use Personal Information
For Wright State to achieve its core mission, it is essential and necessary for Wright State to process personal information of its students, employees, applicants, research subjects, alumni, guests, and others involved in our educational, research, service, and community programs. Wright State processes personal information for various lawful reasons, including, without limitation:
- Academic admissions and enrollment
- Student registration
- Residence life
- Delivery of classroom, online, and study abroad education programs
- Administration and oversight of recreation programs
- Student organizations
- Student affairs activities
- Distribution of grades, materials, and other communications by and among students, faculty, and staff
- Program development and analysis
- Hiring and employment
- Provision of clinic services or health insurance
- Engagement with the community at-large
- Compliance with its internal policies, procedures, and guidelines
- Compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws
- Records retention
- To display advertising tailored to you
- To display relevant advertising from another company’s service
Personal information Wright State processes typically includes, but is not limited to, name, Social Security number, date of birth, address, email, phone number, transcripts, work history, financial information, information for payroll, research subject information, medical and health information (for admissions, student health services, travel, etc.), and donations.
If you refuse to provide personal information required by Wright State in connection with one of Wright State’s lawful bases to collect and process the personal information, such refusal may make it impossible for Wright State to provide the requested or necessary service.
Sharing of Personal Information
Wright State shares personal information with other parties when one or more of the following conditions apply:
- We have previously notified you that sharing the information is necessary
- We have your consent to share the information
- We need to share your information to provide the service or product you requested
- We need to send your information to companies who provide a service or product to you on behalf of Wright State
- The information is student directory information
- To respond to subpoenas, court orders, or any other legal requirements
- When it is necessary to protect and defend the legal rights and/or property of Wright State
- To protect your safety and/or the public’s safety.
As applicable to staff, faculty, applicants, and students, common examples of Wright State sharing personal information include, but are not limited to:
- Agencies of the State of Ohio and/or the United States Government (e.g. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, U. S. Department of Education)
- Your funders and/or lenders
- The providers of any external/collaborative learning and training placements or fieldwork opportunities
- External auditors, examiners, and assessors
- Relevant professional or statutory regulatory bodies
- Relevant university student union(s) and student clubs and societies, to facilitate your membership in those bodies
- Local authorities
- Police and other law enforcement agencies
- Affiliated entities (e.g., Wright State University Foundation)
- Companies or organizations providing specific services to, or on behalf of, Wright State
- Prospective and actual research funders or sponsors
- External providers of any staff benefits or retirement plans
- If applicable, staff or faculty unions
- Others as may be required by the law
We generally do not actively share personal information gathered from Wright State’s technology services such as our web servers. As Wright State is a public institution, some information collected from our websites, including information from our server logs, e-mails delivered to Wright State, and information collected from digital forms, may be subject to the Ohio Public Records Act. In some cases, we may be required by law to release information gathered through and/or by Wright State technology services.
Wright State complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which prohibits the release of education records except in limited circumstances. Wright State also complies with the applicable provisions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) where relevant and appropriate.
Wright State will comply with its published data protection policies in the processing of your personal information, except for legally permitted exceptions. Please see policy.wright.edu for related policies and further detail.
Within Wright State’s technology services, non-Wright State websites or services may be linked or made available through our online services. When you use third-party websites or services, you leave Wright State’s technology services (i.e. website) and no longer will be subject to our Privacy Statement. Wright State is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of non-Wright State technology services, and such links or services made available are not intended to be an endorsement of those sites or their content.
If we have collected your personal information from Wright State’s technology services, we store it in a variety of Wright State records. Generally, Wright State retains the data it collects for the time periods specified in Wright State’s Record Retention Schedule.
Disclaimer of Liability
The information contained in this Privacy Statement explains the privacy procedures and practices that Wright State has adopted for its technology services. In legal terms, this Privacy Statement shall not be construed as a contractual promise, and Wright State reserves the right to amend it at any time without notice. Neither Wright State nor any of its programs, employees, agents, or individual trustees shall be held liable for any improper or incorrect use of the information described and/or contained in Wright State’s technology services and assumes no responsibility for anyone’s use of the information.
Consent to This Privacy Statement
By using Wright State’s technology services, you signify that you agree with the terms of the most current version of the Privacy Statement as posted in this area of the website. If you do not agree with any term in this Privacy Statement, please do not provide any personal information on Wright State’s technology services. If you do not provide personal information on Wright State’s technology services, you may not be able to do certain things, like access particular areas of the University website, request certain types of information, or send us email communications.
Changes to the Privacy Statement
We may occasionally decide to change our Privacy Statement. If there are changes to this Privacy Statement, we will post those changes here.
If you have questions about this Privacy Statement, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated October 18, 2023