Connect with a WSU international student or visiting scholar and have a global experience in your own home and city!
Who can apply?
Any member of the Dayton community, Wright State faculty/staff, or even Wright State students are welcome to participate. A host can be a single person, a family, retirees, etc.
What is the application process?
Submit an International Friendship Program Application. Once submitted you will be contacted by a WSU/UCIE team member for a virtual introductory meeting. Following this meeting, you will be matched with your international student(s)!
What is expected of me?
Choose to be connected with one or more international students or visiting scholars. You will work directly with your student/scholar to arrange what you do, where, and when. We recommend you meet once a month throughout the one-semester commitment (about 3-4 times). You are welcome to extend the commitment for additional semesters per your preference.
Examples: Past participants have welcomed students in their homes to have dinner, play games, share in a bonfire, or experience an American holiday. Hosts have also helped their students explore Dayton at museums, restaurants, hiking/kayaking, live music performances, sports games, festivals, the ideas are endless.
What is not expected of me?
- Housing: This is not a live-in program.
- Financial Assistance: You are not expected to help the student/scholar financially in any way.
- Academic Support: You are not expected to tutor the student/scholar. If the student/scholar asks for such support, please refer them to the WSU-UCIE office.
- Transportation: Please note that many international students do not have vehicles. You are not expected to provide transportation, but you are welcome to if you are able.
What's in it for me/my family?
- Have a global experience in your home and city
- Experience cross-cultural relationships
- Develop intercultural competence
- Foster friendship, cultural exchange, and hospitality
- Get connected to the WSU international community
- Encourage language skills
*Please be advised, submitting an application does not necessarily guarantee you a spot in the UCIE International Friendship Program.