STEM Optional Practical Training (OPT) Extension Information

STEM OPT Extension

The STEM OPT Extension is a 24-month extension of work authorization available to international students who are currently engaged in Optional Practical Training (OPT) and who have earned a qualifying degree in a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) field. Students require a STEM OPT I-20 from UCIE as part of their application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Online Filing of I-765

We are in the process of updating all documentation for the online filing of the I-765.

Please see for: 

  • Filing tips and videos
  • Helpful question & answers

STEM OPT Extension Forms

How to Apply for STEM OPT Extension

Follow the steps below:

  1. Begin by completing an I-983 with your employer and then, visit our STEM OPT Extension Request to request your new STEM OPT Extension I-20. The I-983 requires information from both the student and the employer. For assistance in completing this form, please view our Guide to Completing the I-983.
  2. UCIE will prepare a new I-20 for you. In most cases, your I-20 will be ready in one week. We will notify you via email once it is ready.
  3. After receiving your new I-20, you must submit an application packet to Refer to the Optional Practical Training: STEM Extensions packet for a checklist. Upload the documentation on the Checklist to USCIS. Keep in the mind following:
    • The earliest date to apply is 90 days before OPT end date (UCIE will not process your request before this date).
    • USCIS must receive your application within 30 days after the OPT I-20 is issued.
    • USCIS must receive your application before the expiration date of your Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

Sending Your Application

We recommend applying online for the I765 at

Application Timeline

Start planning for your STEM OPT Extension application before your current EAD card expires. After that expiration date, you are no longer eligible to apply for STEM extension. See step 3 above for specific timelines required by USCIS.  

These deadlines refer to when the USCIS will receive their application, so students should allow time for working with UCIE on the application and mailing it in.

STEM OPT Extension Basics

Is my degree eligible for a STEM extension?
A student must have earned a bachelor’s or higher degree on the STEM Designated Degree Programs* list within the last 10 years. To check if your major is eligible, look at the “Primary Major” on your I-20, then search for that code in the CIP code column on this list.

Do I need a job offer to apply for STEM OPT Extension? 
Yes, you must already have an e-verified employer to fill out an I-983.

How do I choose my start date? What should my end date be?
The start date of the 24-month OPT extension will be the day after the end date on your OPT EAD card and the end date will be 24 months later. For example, if my USCIS authorized OPT end date is 06/02/2018, then my STEM start date is 06/03/2018 and the end date will be 06/02/2020. These dates are not flexible.

Where can STEM OPT Extension students work?
Anywhere in the US for an E-Verify employer in a paid position directly related to his or her major.  A student authorized for a 24-month extension must work at least 20 hours per week.

Continue reading our Frequently Asked Questions section below if you are interested in working as a contractor, for multiple employers, or starting your own business.

What happens after I submit my application?
You will receive an automatic receipt after applying online. The receipt includes a tracking number to check the progress of your STEM OPT Extension application online. Your card should arrive at the address listed on your I-765 approximately 3-5 months after USCIS receives your application. If your OPT extension is approved, you must upload a photocopy of your new EAD card to the UCIE at i-Raider.

What if my STEM extension is still pending after my OPT end date?
If you have timely filed the application for the STEM extension, you may continue working even if your EAD card has expired and until your OPT extension is processed or until 180 days have passed, whichever is sooner.

What is the unemployment limit on STEM OPT Extension? 
You are allowed a maximum of 150 days of unemployment time, which includes any unemployment accrued during 12-month OPT.

What are some common reasons for OPT Denial or Rejection?

  • Signature – the I765 must be signed in black ink – e-signatures are not valid.
  • Version of I765 - Make sure to use the most recent I-765 from the USCIS website. The current "expiration" date on USCIS forms is located at the bottom of the form, not the top. The top date is the OMB expiration date, and for filing purposes, is irrelevant. The expiration date on the current I-765 form is 12/26/2019.
  • Reason for Applying – you must mark an item in Part 1.

How do I report changes in my employment status or my personal contact information?
You are required to report any of the following through the STEM OPT Extension Request & Reporting form within 10 days:

  • Starting a new job – requires final eval (bottom of page 5 of I983) for previous employer and new I983 (pages 1-4) for new employer
  • 12-month evaluations (requires top of page 5 of I983)
  • 24-month evaluations (requires bottom of page 5 of I983)
  • 6 and 18-month validation reports

You are also required to report any of the following changes through the SEVP Portal within 10 days:

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I work for more than one employer?

Yes, students may work for more than one employer, but all employment must be related to the student's degree program and all employers must be enrolled in E-Verify.

Can I work for a contractor (1099 employment)?

Yes, students may take a position where they perform a service based on a contractual relationship rather than an employment relationship. The company must be registered with E-Verify. If requested by DHS, students must be prepared to provide evidence showing the duration of the contract periods and the name and address of the contracting company.

Can I work for myself?

Technically, no.  Under the regulations, students may not fill out their own Form I-983, Sections 3 to 6, nor act as their own employer for the purposes of the form. Therefore, self-employment is not acceptable for the purposes of STEM OPT Extension employment.

Can I apply for STEM OPT Extension a second time?

A student can apply for STEM OPT Extension once per degree level (i.e., bachelor's, master's or doctorate) for a maximum of two STEM OPT Extension periods.

To participate twice in the STEM OPT Extension, a student must earn a second qualifying degree at a higher education level and must be participating in active post-completion OPT at the time they apply to USCIS for their second STEM OPT Extension. In some cases, students may be eligible to use a prior STEM degree to qualify for their second STEM OPT extension.

What if I change employers while my STEM extension is still pending?

You must complete a new I-983 with your new employer and submit it to our office. Once you have completed this process, our office will report the change to the USCIS.

More information regarding OPT can be found at the Study in the States, Department of Homeland Security website.

STEM Reporting

If you currently on OPT STEM Extension, please read the following requirements: