Health Insurance

The Young Adult’s Guide to Health Insurance

This article from will help you to understand key health insurance concepts, make informed decisions should you travel abroad, become pregnant or graduate college, and decide whether, as an adult under 26, you should stay on your parent's plan or take out your own.

Wright State University policy requires all international students to purchase the University Student Health Insurance Plan.  

All students, including international students, may receive treatment for minor ailments at the Student Health Services office on campus. Depending on the nature of the illness or injury, the physician may recommend hospital care, which can be costly. To help cover hospital expenses, a Student Health Insurance Plan is offered by Wright State University at competitive rates.

Wright State University students with F1 or J1 visas are required by University policy to maintain health insurance coverage (including medical evacuation and repatriation) during their studies. Students are assessed single student coverage unless a waiver is approved by the UCIE office. Waivers will be approved only for students who have U.S.-based insurance coverage through the employer of a spouse or parent.

These companies usually do not offer the required medical evacuation and repatriation coverage. In order to comply with University regulations, students who receive a waiver of the WSU Accident and Sickness Insurance plan must purchase the Medical Evacuation and Repatriation insurance plan offered by International SOS Assistance, Inc. unless such coverage is included in their plan. Information about enrolling in this program is available from the UCIE Office. This coverage must be purchased before a waiver can be issued.

Student Health Services

The Campus Health Center is open daily during the week for your convenience. Appointments are required. There are other places "on call" 24 hours a day to advise you, should you have an emergency when the Campus Health Center is closed. In case of an emergency please visit or call one of the following Emergency Rooms:

  • Raj Soin Medical Center, 3535 Pentagon Blvd, Beavercreek, OH 45431, 937-702-4000
  • Doctor's Urgent Care Office 2131 Gateway Drive, Fairborn OH 45324, (937) 873-9500
  • GMH Urgent Care 3371 Kemp Road (at North Fairfield Rd), Beavercreek, OH 45432, (937) 320-3600
  • Greene Memorial Hospital 1141 N. Monroe Dr. Xenia (937) 429-3200
  • Miami Valley Hospital One Wyoming Street Dayton, Ohio 45409 (937) 208-2444
  • Miami Valley Urgent Care 1010 Woodman Dr (937) 252-9900

Cost and Gap Coverage

For information about the cost of gap insurance and health insurance, please visit the Student Health Services website.

Please note that the charges for the spring and summer semesters are both accessed with the bill for the spring semester. This way students are covered for the summer semester even if they chose not to take classes.

Waiver Requirements

International students may only receive a waiver on the WSU health insurance policy if the student has U.S.-based health insurance coverage through the employer of a spouse or parent, or through a governmental sponsor who has an agreement with Wright State University. These policies must include Medical evacuation expense coverage of $50,000 and Repatriation expense coverage of $25,000 and a deductible that does not exceed $500. Coverage must be in force for the complete academic year.

Frequently Used Insurance Terms

COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) - COBRA is a Federal provision that allows an employee or dependent to stay insured temporarily through a terminated plan. Please be aware, these plans are usually very costly on a month-by-month basis. You have 31 days to enroll in a new plan after your current plan has been terminated.

Co-payments - A dollar amount or percentage you are responsible for paying for your covered healthcare services. You may have to pay a set amount every time you make an office visit, a different amount for lab work, and various amounts for different types of prescription drugs. You may have to meet a deductible before your co-pay or co-insurance kicks in.

Deductible - The amount you have to pay for covered medical services before your health plan starts paying. Your deductible amount may be very small or really large. What size depends on you; you can trade off the costs of a high deductible with a lower premium.

Exclusion - A health condition or circumstances not eligible for coverage under your health plan. What your plan doesn't cover is listed in the Certificate of Coverage for your benefits. Call your plan's customer service number to get a copy of your Certificate of Coverage. If you have a chronic or unusual condition, check the exclusions carefully before choosing a plan.

Maximum - Annual or Lifetime - An upper limit on costs or services covered by a plan. For example, a plan may limit you to 60 days of occupational therapy or put a ceiling on the dollar amount of coverage it will provide over your lifetime. Some plans have limits; some don't so check your policy.

Open Enrollment - Usually scheduled during the three months before the effective date of a benefit plan. This time is a window of opportunity during which you can make changes to your benefits package without having to prove creditable coverage or a qualifying event.

Out-of-pocket - Money you pay toward the cost of healthcare services. It's essentially money you have to dig out of your own pocket, so it's aptly named. Out-of-pocket expenses include deductibles and co-payments. Sometimes, what you pay for services not covered by your plan is considered out-of-pocket as well. Plans vary widely in the amount of out-of-pocket costs you pay. Some plans put a cap on your out-of-pocket expenses. After you reach the out-of-pocket limit, the health plan pays all you are covered.

Premium - The cost of an insurance plan. An employer may pay part of your premium if you get your health benefits through your company. Pay attention to what your premiums cost- your employer's contribution is part of your compensation package. You can find this amount on your paycheck stub.

Primary Care Physician (PCP) - A doctor who serves as your main contact with the healthcare world, providing basic care and referring you to specialists as the need arises. The BGSU Student Health Service serves as your PCP if you are in an enrolled BGSU-offered insurance plan.

Qualifying Event - Certain events that would ordinarily cause an individual to lose health coverage. Sometimes known as life changes. These events include aging off a parent's insurance plan at 23-25 years of age, getting married, getting divorced, having/adopting a child, or the death of a spouse or parent.

Reimbursement - A payment either to you or a health care professional for covered medical services. A fee-for-service plan may reimburse you or your doctor a set amount or maximum amount for specific services. This system can lead to larger out-of-pocket costs for you. For example, your doctor may charge $60 to remove that pesky wart, but your health plan pays just $40. You may have to pay the difference. On the other hand, your health plan may negotiate the doctor's fees in advance, including an agreement that prevents your doctor from billing you for the remaining $20.

Specialist - A specialist is an expert in a specific area of medicine. You may need an Oncologist to treat cancer; a Nephrologist to treat kidney disease, or a Pulmonist to treat serious lung conditions.