The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Portal is a subsystem of the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) that allows F1 students on OPT and STEM OPT to report address and employment information directly to SEVP to fulfill their legal reporting requirements. Wright State University is now implementing the use of the SEVP portal.
How to enroll in the SEVP Portal
SEVP will email prospective SEVP Portal users (students on OPT or STEM OPT) the information they need to create a portal account. Students must have a valid email address in SEVIS to gain access to the SEVP Portal. (ALL Wright State students already have their Wright State email in the system.)
Using the SEVP Portal at Wright State: Initial OPT students
All address and employment changes for initial 12 months of OPT will need to be updated via the SEVP Portal.
- Students must not use “edit employer” when they actually intend to add a new employer. The portal is intended to maintain the entire employment history.
- Address validation: the portal contains strong address validation tools
- For an updated copy of your I-20 after you have updated employment in the portal, please complete the Post OPT Reporting Form
- If you have any questions about this process, please email email@example.com
Using the SEVP Portal at Wright State: STEM OPT students
- STEM OPT students are UNABLE to add/change employers in the SEVP Portal due to the Form I-983, “Training Plan for STEM OPT Students,” requirement. STEM OPT students are only able to update their address through the SEVP portal.
Initial OPT Reporting
What do I have to do to maintain status on OPT?
You are permitted only 90 days of unemployment between the start and end dates on your EAD card. In addition, you are required to report the following information while on OPT:
- When you start a new job.
- When you change addresses.
- Periods of unemployment.
- 6-month validation.
You must use the SEVP Portal to report any/all of these items within 10 days from the change. To learn more about the SEVP Portal (https://sevp.ice.gov/opt/#/login), visit the SEVP Portal Help Hub (https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/sevp-portal-help).
Note: The SEVP Portal does not currently include the option to reprint your I-20. After updating your employer information in the SEVP portal, please submit the Post OPT Reporting Form (https://i-raider.wright.edu/istart/controllers/client/ClientEngine.cfm?serviceid=EFormGroupProvider&eformGroup=16) for an updated I-20.