On this page:
Do you have an idea that could impact student success at Wright State University? Then you’ll want to check out the Students First Fund—a grants program created by the Wright State University Foundation.
The Students First Fund was established to provide a source of one-time opportunity funding to support the student experience. Grants made from this fund are designed to support innovative ideas that assist students to succeed, thrive, persist, graduate, and begin their careers.
Each fall, the Wright State University Foundation begins accepting applications for grants from the Students First Fund. Before you apply, please carefully read and review our guidelines, frequently asked questions, and grant application to make sure that your program or initiative meets our criteria.
Grant applications must be received by Friday, February 25, 2022. All Wright State students, faculty, and staff with a creative idea to promote student success are welcome to apply.
Put on your thinking cap, let your creative juices flow, and share with us your vision to inspire student success!
Purpose: The Wright State University Foundation established the Students First Fund to provide a source of opportunity funding to support the student experience. Grants made from this fund are designed to support innovative ideas that assist students to succeed, thrive, persist, graduate, and begin their careers.
Projects Eligible for Funding:
The ideal project for the Students First Fund will meet the following requirements:
- Provide a unique approach to supporting students as they earn their degrees
- Be self-sustaining within two years
Other eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Applicant must be a faculty, staff, or student of Wright State University
- Applicant must complete an online application and budget worksheet (DOCX)
- Applicant must advance an idea that promotes student success and identifies the number of students to be impacted
- If approved for funding, the successful applicant must be willing to complete an end-of-grant assessment and demonstrate how the Students First funding impacted student success
Amount of Available Funding: The Wright State University Foundation Board of Trustees has committed to providing $50,000 in Students First Fund awards.
Oversight of Program: The Students First Fund grants committee, which consists of members of the Wright State University Foundation Board of Trustees, will oversee the program, review all applications, and make the final decisions on awards.
What is the Students First Fund?
The Students First Fund is a grant program funded and administered by the Wright State University Foundation. It was established to help fund initiatives that will have a direct impact on the success of Wright State University students.
Is the Students First Fund a scholarship program?
No, the Students First Fund is not a scholarship program, and it is not intended to benefit a single individual. Only ideas that directly impact the success of a large group of students will be considered for funding.
How many grants will be awarded through the Students First Fund?
The Wright State University Foundation will award up to $50,000 through the Students First Fund. The distribution of the funds will be dependent on the number and quality of the proposals received.
What type of projects will be considered for funding?
In order to be considered for funding, projects must demonstrate a direct impact on student success. Here are a few examples of the types of student success initiatives that could be eligible for a grant from the Students First Fund:
- Recruitment and retention initiatives
- Leadership programs
- Educational enhancement activities
- Workforce development activities and programs
- Community/corporate engagement activities
- Mentoring programs
- Experiential learning activities
- Student life and campus engagement initiatives
Initiatives that meet the following descriptions will be of high interest to the Grant Committee:
- New pilot projects
- Innovative projects
- Projects serving high numbers of students
- Projects that have the support of college/unit leadership and/or originate from sanctioned student organizations
- Expansion of current student success projects
Are there any restrictions on the grant money provided by the Students First Fund?
Yes, please read and review carefully the following limitations:
- The Students First Fund does not fund scholarships or individual student support.
- The Students First Fund does not fund standard operating expenses or salaries/benefits.
- The Students First Fund does not fund travel expenses unless they are an integral part of the program.
- Funding through the Students First Fund is a one-time-only opportunity. You must be able to identify other sources of funding for your initiative and demonstrate a financial sustainability plan going forward.
Who can apply for a Students First Fund grant?
All Wright State University faculty, staff, and students with a proposal to impact student success are welcome to apply.
How do I apply for a Students First Fund grant?
Complete the online application and provide any supplemental materials by the application deadline.
Is there someone I can contact if I have questions about the application process?
Absolutely! Just complete our contact form and someone from the Wright State University Foundation will be in touch with you shortly. Or you may call or email the Foundation directly at (937) 775-2251 or StudentsFirstFund@wright.edu
Who will make the final decision on which projects receive funding?
The Students First Fund grants committee, which consists of members of the Wright State University Foundation Board of Trustees, will review all applications and make the final decisions.
How will I know if my grant proposal has been accepted?
All Students First Fund grant applicants will be notified in April as to whether or not their application was approved for funding.
If my grant proposal is accepted, when will I receive funding?
Funding will be available at the beginning of Fall Semester.
If my proposal is not accepted for funding, can I apply again next year?
Of course! We will provide feedback on why your application was not selected for funding, so you can be better prepared when submitting a future request. Also, please keep in mind that we are working with a limited amount of funds. It’s very possible that we may have to turn down many worthwhile projects simply because of the lack of available funds.
If I receive a grant from the Student First Fund this year, can I apply for an additional grant next year for the same project?
No, the Students First Fund is designed to provide one-time funding or seed money to launch a student success initiative. Ideally, we hope to help projects that have other sources of funding identified and that have financial sustainability plans for the future. However, you may apply for funding for a different student success initiative that has not received Students First funding.