FACULTY BACKUP DRIVE REQUEST
All current faculty members, deans, and chairs may request an external USB hard drive for the primary purpose of backing up their university-owned computer system. The Provost's office is funding
the purchase of 1TB USB drives compatible with supported Windows and MacOS operating systems. The drive must be encrypted and is provided with a backup utility. CaTS is exploring options for other
If you request this drive, you will have a designated backup location which will supplement the hard drive in your computer and your network home directory. The university will not be able to provide extraordinary or costly data recovery efforts for faculty members who request but then do not take advantage of this external hard drive.
Please read the following eligibility and usage requirements, then fill out the form on the bottom of the page to request a backup drive.
Current Model: Western Digital My Passport SE 1-TB
- You must be a faculty member currently employed directly by the university, OR
- You must be a Dean or department chair currently employed directly by the university
- Emeritus, adjunct, volunteer and retired faculty members are ineligible
- Use will be limited to university-owned computer systems
- Drive is provided as a backup device, not as a primary storage location for active files
- Off-campus use is permitted, but in that event the physical security of the drive (e.g., its protection from theft) is at the faculty member's own risk; and to receive support, it may be required that the drive and the computer for which the drive is used as backup be brought to campus
- Use of operating systems other than Windows and Mac OS is permitted, but in that case software support is the responsibility of the faculty member
Service and Replacement:
- CaTS will manage repair or replacement of any defective drives both during the warranty period and afterwards
- Drives that fail due to non-covered events (e.g. being dropped) will not be repaired or replaced
- Requests are limited to 1 per faculty member every 5 years
- Any drives lost or stolen must be immediately reported to CaTS
- Security of drives containing protected data is the responsibility of the individual faculty member
- Faculty member must use included encryption and password protection software on all files stored on the drive
- CaTS recommends that all university employees read and follow the university Data Security Compliance policies, available online at http://www.wright.edu/cats/policy/testing/data_security.html
By submitting this request you agree to abide by the conditions outlined above. This request will be logged to the CaTS Help Desk and a support technician will
contact you to arrange for CaTS installation or for delivery of the drive if you prefer to set up the drive yourself.
Please note: Your request will be assigned to a CaTS Help Desk support technician. Based on the number of drive requests and other service calls received, the amount of time it may take to have your drive delivered and/or installed could vary.