“Accreditation” is a review of the quality of higher education institutions and programs. In the United States, accreditation is a major way that students, families, government officials, and the general public know that an institution or program provides quality education.
Wright State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) is an independent corporation that was founded in 1895 as one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States. HLC's mission statement is, "Serving the common good by assuring and advancing the quality of higher learning." HLC accredits degree-granting post-secondary educational institutions in Ohio and 18 other states.
Wright State University’s initial accreditation was granted in 1968. In order to maintain accreditation, the university’s programs and processes are periodically reviewed by the HLC to ensure institutional quality and integrity. Wright State University received Reaffirmation of Accreditation in 2016 and completed its Mid-Cycle Assurance Review in August 2020.
Continual HLC Accreditation is a key indicator of Wright State’s quality.
Inquiries about accreditation may be directed to:
Tammy S. Kahrig, Ph.D.
Vice Provost for Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment, and Institutional Accreditation
WSU HLC Accreditation Liaison Officer
The following programs are professionally accredited:
College of Education and Human Services
- Teacher preparation and administrator preparation programs are approved by the Ohio Board of Regents and accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Athletic Training is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE)
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling programs are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
- Sports Science/Exercise Science is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
Raj Soin College of Business
- The undergraduate business program and five master's degree programs are accredited by AACSB International, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- The Department of Accountancy's graduate and undergraduate programs are separately accredited by AACSB International
- The Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, the Accrediting Board for Engineering and Technology
College of Engineering and Computer Science
- The Bachelor of Science programs in biomedical engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, industrial and systems engineering, materials science and engineering, and mechanical engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.
- The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET.
College of Science and Mathematics
- Medical Laboratory Sciences is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- Baccalaureate program in chemistry is certified by the American Chemical Society
College of Liberal Arts
- Master of Public Administration program is accredited by the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration.
- Music is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
- The Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts in Social Work are accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
College of Nursing and Health
- The baccalaureate degree program in nursing and the master's degree program in nursing at Wright State University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing at Wright State University has full approval from the Ohio Board of Nursing. Graduates of the pre-licensure pathways are eligible to sit for the National Council of State Boards Licensing Examination (NCLEX) to become licensed as registered nurses.
Wright State University–Lake Campus
- The Wright State University–Lake Campus Corrections Academy is accredited by the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission.
Boonshoft School of Medicine
- Accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education
- Master of Public Health program is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
School of Professional Psychology
- Clinical psychology and internship programs are accredited by the American Psychological Association Committee on Accreditation