The mission of the University Writing Center (UWC) is to help Wright State University students become more skilled, confident, independent writers and students, thereby enhancing their abilities in educational, professional, civic, and personal settings.
Our work with students is guided by an understanding of both the nature of writing and the nature of student development.
We share an understanding with the Writing Program and Writing Across the Curriculum that:
- Writing is a tool for thinking as well as communicating;
- What we write depends on a number of variables collectively referred to as the rhetorical context;
- Writing consists of multiple, often recurring processes;
- Writing is a collaborative activity.
These observations yield a principle upon which we base our practice: Writers need to discuss their work with other writers who share or understand the rhetorical context within which the writing takes place. This process of collaboration and meaningful revision encourages writers to engage more deeply with the subject matter, enhances learning, and allows writers to produce appropriate texts.
Within our collaborative environment, we promote academic integrity and respect each writer's autonomy. Here, writers maintain ultimate authority over and responsibility for their own writing.
From a student development perspective, we understand that:
- "Student" is one of many identities people attending college have;
- "College" is a unique collection of systems;
- The amount of challenge that will lead to successful growth depends on one's readiness and the level of support available;
- Academic success isn't merely about intelligence or academic knowledge, but one's readiness and ability to navigate the college system.
From these observations, we understand our role to be one of support for the whole student. Students may be dealing with issues seemingly unrelated to writing that nevertheless impede their development as writers. We may be able to help them deal with smaller or temporary issues or we may have to provide appropriate referrals to other experts on our campus.