Summary of Position
Lead Supplemental Instruction (SI) sessions outside of class lectures; attend class lectures and take notes; promote SI among students enrolled in class; collaborate with faculty members to structure SI sessions; take session attendance; and complete SI reports. SI Leaders independently lead students in active reviews of class content. The SI Model that SI Leaders are trained on focuses on student collaboration, checking for understanding using group activities, redirecting questions to students, and encouraging study skills. SI Leaders use judgment, independently, to solve problems and make decisions on which methods to use that will work effectively with course content.
SI Leaders must have demonstrated academic success; recommendation from a faculty member; grade of "A" or "B" in the course being considered. The cumulative GPA preferred is 3.0 or above and must not be less than 2.8. Ability to communicate effectively.
New SI Leaders must complete the hiring process and our online and in-person/live training before their term.
- Attend training and complete professional development hours/meetings each term.
- Attend all lectures.
- Hold sessions twice a week during the term (scheduled as needed for finals week).
- Identify 2 times for holding online sessions the first week of classes. Survey the students and use the results to find 2 times to hold regular sessions for the remainder of the term. Report these times to the SI Coordinator so they can facilitate any needed room reservations for the sessions.
- Obtain class email lists from instructors of corresponding course. Use class email list to send out a welcome email to students and to regularly remind them of SI sessions/encourage attendance.
- Take attendance for every SI session.
- Complete and submit a "planning the session" sheet for guidance and preparation each week.
- Meet with the instructor of the course regularly.
- Follow policies/procedures and maintain communication with the SI Coordinator.
- Attend professional development team meetings with other SI Leaders.
- Hold an hour of “SI Walk-in Hours” weekly to provide further assistance to students, if available.
SI Leaders are paid $14.50 an hour for the following:
- 2-3 hours a week for sitting in on a class
- 2 hours a week for your SI sessions
- 3 hours a week for session prep
- 1 hour a week available for “SI Walk-in Hours”
Total hours per week = 9 hours with an additional hour 4 times a term during professional development team meeting weeks. Other additional hours must be approved by SI Coordinator.
How to Apply
If you are interested in becoming an SI Leader, please complete the online application. Work study information is welcome but not required. It is required that applicants get approval from the faculty member of the class they wish to be an SI Leader. Faculty must send an approval in order for your application to be considered complete. If you have any questions about the application process or any other questions about the SI program, please contact Jennifer Lobo.