Chapter 12: Accounts Receivable
On this page:
- Request New Customer Setup
- Request Address Change/New Address for Customer
- Request New Detail Code Setup
- Create and Upload Invoice Transactions
- Invoice Detail Report
- Invoice Again Report
Starting spring 2015, a new link became available for selected users to enable them to generate non-student invoices and run reports to show accounts receivable balances and activity. This new process will allows the University to reflect all non-student related account receivables.
When departments have the occasion to bill customers external to WSU for non-student related items (goods, services, etc) they use this service to generate a WSU invoice to a specific customer. The invoice posts a debit to the receivable account in a given fund and posts a credit to revenue, i.e. the department receives their revenue right away. The WSU invoice is created in a .pdf document so that it may be emailed to the Customer or sent via postal mail. When the Customer then remits their payment to WSU, the Office of the Bursar credits/reduces the receivable. Using a system which posts receivables and revenues up front enables WSU to better recognize and monitor amounts due.
The Business Manager for a given unit may request access to the Non-Student Invoicing services for given users in their area by submitting the Non-Student Invoicing Application form (PDF) found at the CaTS web site.
In the event that WSU does not receive payment for an invoice sent to a customer, University collection services procedures are followed.
In the upper left of each web page in the NonStudent Invoicing Process, your name and also the Customer/Detail Code series which you are able to access is displayed.
Note: Please do not invoice for Foundation funds. For information regarding solicitation mailings and pledge reminder letters, please contact the WSU Foundation office.
Please use the designated EXIT button when leaving one of these new non-student receivables web pages.
Request New Customer Setup
Use this web page to request a new Customer to be invoiced. Input the fields displayed (Customer Name, Address and Phone Number) and click Submit. If you need to change or add a new address for an existing Customer, please use the Request Address Change/New Address for Customer link instead.
If you plan to send the WSU invoice to the Customer via email, you may include the email address in the Address field so that it appears on the generated invoice.
Your request is then emailed to the Office of the Bursar, with a copy of the email sent to you. You will be notified via email when your new Customer is ready for use.
- Enter the Customer name as it should appear on the invoice.
- Enter the Customer's address as it should appear on the invoice. The preference is that no person's name is included in the address.
- The telephone number is an optional field and does not appear on the invoice.
- Click Submit.
- You will receive an email when you submit your request. Within 2 business days, you will receive an email from the Office of the Bursar to confirm the Customer's ID.
- A Customer ID is created using a 3-character prefix to identify the division/college (e.g. CEV000001).
Request Address Change/New Address for Customer
Choose an option:
- View: to view existing addresses for Customers
- Change: to change an existing address for a Customer
- Add: to add an existing address for a Customer
Once you complete the Change or Add information and click Submit, an email notification is sent to the Office of the Bursar with a copy to you the requestor. Within 2 business days, you will be notified via email when the address has been changed or added and the address sequence if there is more than one address.
Request New Detail Code Setup
Use this web page to request a new Detail Code for invoicing. Detail Codes are 4-character input shortcuts which correspond to underlying FOAPAL information. Each department within a division/college will be assigned a Detail Code with a specific 2-character prefix beginning with an "S" (e.g. SBxx). This Detail Code identifies the department generating an invoice which allows the Business Manager to track all invoices within their division/college by department.
Input the fields displayed for the credit side of the entry which will post via the Detail Code:
- Fund: select the existing fund from the drop-down list where the revenue for this Detail Code will post.
- Organization: select the existing organization where the revenue for this Detail Code will post.
- Account: select the existing 5% revenue account code which will be posted when this Detail Code is used.
- Program: defaults to 99888 Revenue.
- Activity: optionally select the Activity Code you would like to use when revenue for this Detail Code posts. If you need a new Activity Code, please use the Activity Code Request Form on the Controller's Office web page.
- Detail Code Description: input the 30-character default description for this Detail Code. Note that you will be able to overtype the default description if/as needed when creating invoices.
- Use the Additional Comments/Notes for any additional information concerning the setup of the Detail Code.
Your request is then emailed to the Office of the Bursar, with a copy of the email sent to you and your Business Manager. The Office of the Bursar works with the Business Manager to determine the appropriate debit side of the entry which will post as a result of this Detail Code. Within 2 business days, you will be notified via email when your new Detail Code is ready for use.
Create and Upload Invoice Transactions
Use this web page to input transaction lines which are then uploaded to a WSU invoice.
Best Practice: use your TAB key to navigate on this form.
- Customer ID: begin entering your division/college prefix (e.g. CEV) and choose the Customer ID from the drop-down list to be billed on this invoice. This field stays constant for any given invoice.
- Detail Code: begin entering your departmental detail code prefix (e.g. SA) and choose the Detail Code for the specific lineitem on this invoice. Note that you may edit the default description if/as needed. The description you key in is what will appear on your reports and invoice. It is recommended that you input the number of the ID prior to the description. It is important to adjust the description on the Detail Code so that when the item feeds to Finance it will be easier to determine which charge belongs to which Customer. Best Practice: add the number that represents the Customer at the beginning of the description. (E.g. Customer ID of CEV000012 and the default description of the Detail Code is SUES-SU Camp Program Fee ==> change the description on the invoice to 12-SUES-SU Camp Program Fee.)
- Select Address Seq: select the address sequence for this Customer for this invoice. This field stays constant for any given invoice.
- Address: the address appears once the Sequence is selected.
- Units: this optional field may be used to calculate the Amount.
- Rate: this optional field may be used to calculate the Amount.
- Amount: dollar amount of this invoice lineitem.
- Additional text: Use this 50-character field to input any additional information you would like to provide for this lineitem. If you require more than 1 line of text, click "Add More Text". This text will appear on Page 2 of the invoice.
Click Add Transaction to add the lineitem to this invoice. The information then appears in the section at the bottom and you may then review it and edit/delete it if needed before finishing the invoice.
Click Clear Transaction to clear the lineitem information input in the top section of this page if/as needed.
The bottom section of the page displays the lineitems for this invoice. The information may be sorted by column. You may also edit, delete, or add lineitems as needed. If you choose to edit an item, you must then click "Add Transaction" again whether or not any change was made.
When all of your lineitems for this invoice are in place, click "Upload Transactions" and your transactions will be loaded to Banner Accounts Receivable. Select the Print/Save link to create a pdf version of the invoice which you may then save and/or print as needed. It is recommended to save all your invoices with the naming convention: customer ID and invoice number. Example CEV000028S1322973.
Review the invoice, and then print and mail or email the PDF file to your Customer.
Transactions will typically post to Banner Finance (viewable via Transaction Detail and various Queries) the following business day.
If you need to input a credit adjustment to a prior invoice, you will need to know the Customer ID, previous Detail Code, and Transaction Number. You can find the TRAN NUMBER to input by running the Invoice Detail Report for the Customer and looking in the Transaction Number column for the related original invoice.
Tip: if you wish to keep the Invoice Detail Report displayed while you are creating the credit, you may go to the NonStudent Invoicing Process menu, right-click on the Create and Upload Invoice Transactions link and then select "open in new tab".
- Enter the Customer ID.
- Enter the same Detail Code that was used on the transaction that is being credited.
- Select the correct Address.
- Enter the amount using a negative sign (e.g. -$10.00).
- Enter the transaction number of the original transaction that is being credited.
- Enter any desired text.
- Click "Add Transaction".
- Review your transaction and click "Upload Transaction". This will post the transaction to Banner Accounts Receivable.
- You will be presented with a screen instructing you to Print and Save invoice. By clicking Print and Save, the system will prepare a PDF file of your invoice/credit memo. This process may take a few minutes. At this time, the invoice should be saved into an electronic file using the naming convention that the system assigns which includes the Customer ID and Invoice Number.
- Review the invoice and then either print and mail or email the PDF file to your Customer.
Invoice Detail Report
Run this report to see transactions for a given Customer(s), Detail Code(s), and date range(s). Output may be exported to Excel. Inputting a date range will return all transactions with Effective Dates within the range, including any payments received during the date range. Running the report without inputting a date range will display transactions with balances only. (Note that the application of payments process runs nightly, to match up any payments submitted that day to the respective invoices.) This report may be exported to Excel.
For a User:
- Enter the Customer ID to view all charges with open balances to which you have access.
- This will give you charges with balances for the requested Customer.
- Enter the Detail Code to view all charges with balances to which you have access.
- This will give you all Customers with charges with balances for the Detail Code requested.
- Using either option above and adding a date range will show all activity for the date range selected.
For a Business Manager:
- Enter the prefix for your division/college and you will see all charges with balances for each department.
- You may enter a particular Customer ID or Detail Code to see the charges with balances on accounts.
- Using the date range will provide all activity for the date range selected.
Note that if you are using Internet Explorer browser to Export the report, you will need to first save it as a text (.txt) file and then open in Excel.
Invoice Aging Report
Run this report to see the age of outstanding invoices. This report may be exported to Excel.
For a user:
- Enter the Customer ID or the prefix for your division/college (e.g. CEV).
- You will see a list of the aging for your Customers billed using the Detail Code category to which you have access (e.g. SC).
For a Business Manager:
- Enter the Customer ID or the prefix for your division/college (e.g. CEV).
- You will see a list of the aging for your Customers billed using your division/college prefix.
The Non-Student Account Receivables should be reconciled at least monthly. You may use the Wings Express Finance > General Ledger Report. Currently, the General Ledger runs against Banner in production. Invoices feed to production nightly.
For a user:
- Run the General Ledger Report using the Accounts Receivable FUND & ACCOUNT already established for the Detail Code to which you have access for billing purposes.
- Compare this to the Invoice Detail Report that was generated by using your assigned departmental Detail Code(s).
- Compare these totals to the Aging Detail Report that was generated using the prefix assigned to your division/college. Again, these amounts should match.
- This is when customizing the description of your Detail Codes will prove extremely useful!
For a Business Manager:
- Run the General Ledger Report using the Accounts Receivable FUND already established for your division/college non-student accounts receivable.
- Compare this to the Invoice Detail Report generated using the prefix established for your division/college's Customer IDs.
- Compare these totals to the Aging Detail Report generated using the prefix assigned to your division/college's Customer IDs. Again, these amounts should match.