Audit, Risk, and Compliance

Risk Management Forms, Frequently Asked Questions, and Policies

On this page:



Loss and Insurance


Vehicle Agreements

Frequently Asked Questions


  • How do I become authorized to drive a Wright State vehicle or rent a car to use for university business?

    An electronic driver application form (e-DAF) should be completed online by the prospective driver. Inaccurate information entered will delay the review process.

  • How can I get an automobile insurance ID card or an automobile accident packet?

    You can obtain an ID card from the link embedded in your driver application status email you will receive upon approval. You may request one from this office by contacting Lura Clapper at 937-775-3908. You may print an accident reporting kit (PDF).

  • Does Wright State insurance cover me driving my own car while conducting university business?

    No. There are two primary reasons. First, auto insurance coverage follows the vehicle, meaning that the insurance coverage is legally linked to the vehicle it is purchased for. Second, Wright State may only cover what is allowed by law. According to Ohio Revised Code, public institutions are directed to use all other sources of coverage first. In the case of a privately-owned vehicle, the private coverage is first in line or primary for paying a claim. Only if the claim amount exceeds other existing primary sources, will Wright State's insurance be involved.

  • How is insurance coverage provided to me when driving a rental car on Wright State business?

    When you rent a vehicle through a university preferred provider, the rental rate includes full liability and collision coverage with no deductible. However, if you rent a vehicle from a non-preferred provider, general liability coverage must be purchased in addition to the rental fee. The university requires insurance in amounts of no less than $100K/$300K/$50K. In addition, in the event of an accident or damage to the vehicle a deductible may have to be paid by the department depending on the type of vehicle and whether a procurement card was used to pay for the vehicle. The university's insurance policy comes into play only when the insurance limits provided by the rental company are exceeded. In addition, the university's deductible amount is $1,000, so any damage valued at less than that would not be covered.

  • If a Wright State driver is driving a university vehicle (owned, leased, or loaned) and gets into an accident, will Wright State pay for a person’s injuries?

    When an employee is driving while conducting university business, workman’s compensation will be the primary source for recovering injury claims. This is due to Ohio Revised Code, which directs Wright State to use all other sources of coverage first. For involved passengers or third parties who are not directly employed by Wright State, their existing medical insurance will be the first in line for paying claims.

  • What do I do if I have an accident: While driving a Wright State vehicle?

    You should immediately call the police. Then, as soon as possible, apprise your supervisor and the Office of Risk Management, Lura Clapper, 937-775-3908. Complete the accident reporting kit (PDF) and send it to the Office of Risk Management. See University Policy 9210 for more information.

  • What do I do if I have an accident: While driving my own car on Wright State business?

    You should call the police and advise your supervisor. Then, contact your auto insurance carrier. See University Policy 9210 for more information.

  • Does Wright State insurance cover loss of university-owned equipment transported in a private vehicle if my auto policy doesn't?

    Yes, if the university's equipment is damaged or destroyed in an auto accident while being transported, the auto physical damage portion of our policy would cover the loss and require the department to pay a $1,000 deductible.

    If the equipment were stolen from your car, then the loss would come under our property coverage where the deductible is $100,000. On property worth less than $100,000, the department would be responsible for paying the replacement value.

General Insurance

  • Does Wright State insurance cover loss to personal property of employees/students/volunteers?

    No, a loss of or damage to personal property would likely be covered under a homeowner's or renter's insurance policy.

  • Does Wright State insurance cover me as a professional while I am working?

    Yes, as long as you are considered a Wright State employee, student, or volunteer performing duties related to the conduct of the university's activities.

  • Does Wright State insurance cover students working in a practicum/internship?

    Yes, as long as the student is participating in a program where is a practicum/internship is a part of their educational requirements.

Certificate of Insurance

  • I've been asked for a certificate of insurance. What is that and how do I get one?

    University groups using non-university facilities are sometimes required to provide evidence of the university's insurance coverage. To request one, a written request or email should be sent to Lura Clapper. Please complete the Certification of Insurance Request Form, which is available on our page. The request should include the name and address of the party requesting the certificate, the purpose of Wright State University's use, and the dates for which coverage is required.

  • I received a certificate of insurance from an off-campus party I'm dealing with. What should I do with it?

    Please send the original to Lindsay Ramge, but be sure to keep a copy for your records.


University policy contains the current version of all official university policies and procedures.