Online Education


The United States Department of Education requires that every institution of higher education obtain authorization from each state in which it offers distance education opportunities. Wright State University is committed to complying with the requirements of each state in which we offer distance learning programs and courses.  

Wright State is approved by the Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE) to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. Institutions that are members of SARA are authorized to provide online education to students from all SARA member states. States and institutions that choose to become members of SARA operate under a set of policies and standards overseen by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements and administered by four regional higher education compacts.

Students living in SARA states can now participate in Wright State’s online programs. For more information about the SARA initiative and the progress of state and institutional membership, please visit

If you currently reside in California and are considering enrolling in an online program or in an online course offered by Wright State University, it is necessary that you determine your eligibility. These restrictions do not apply to students enrolled on either the Wright State Dayton or Lake Campuses. However, students from California currently enrolled on our campuses who wish to complete their program online should contact the director of your desired program or to see if accommodations may be possible to permit your enrollment.

State Contact Information

The United States Department of Education’s Federal Integrity Rules require Wright State to provide contact information for filing complaints with each state licensing entity and any other relevant agency that would handle the complaint. The contact information for each state and our accrediting agency can be found at  State Complaint Information.