Kids on Campus (KOC) is a precollege program offered by the Office of Pre-College Programs at Wright State University for students in grades K through 6. On selected Saturdays, students can choose from a variety of hand-on courses designed for motivated students which serve to foster creativity and stimulate students’ thinking. Pre-College Programs has been providing academic enrichment programs for over 25 years on the campus of Wright State University.
|Experiments 101||Saturday, November 17, 2018||9 a.m.-noon or 1-4 p.m.||Tuesday, November 13, 2018||$25 per session|
|Penguins||Saturday, December 8, 2018||9 a.m.-noon or 1-4 p.m.||Tuesday, December 4, 2018||$25 per session|
Join us for an exciting morning or afternoon of enriching, creative and hands-on programming. Bring your children to campus to experience unique classes and activities that will stimulate their minds.
Registration Deadline: Tuesday, November 13, 2018
Course: KOC 04 Color Experimenters
Description: Discover the secrets behind color. Students will explore color as they make it disappear using motion. Students will experiment how color can travel through plants. Students will make liquids change colors using chemical reactions.
Course: KOC 05 Kitchen Experimenters
Description: Ever wonder why Pop Rocks explode in your mouth? Make your own version of a fizzy treat to try. How do Gummy Bears react in different liquids? Do marshmallows sink or float? How can you change marshmallows to do both? Students will study physical and chemical changes while experimenting with kitchen ingredients.
Course: KOC 06 Junior Experimenters
Description: Discover what a colloid is while experimenting with milk. Create curds and whey out of milk and investigate the uses of both. Explore the science behind polymers as students work to create their own bouncy ball.
Registration deadline: Tuesday, December 4, 2018
This month students will be able to explore their artistic side in a variety of art projects. Please send children in “play” clothes or feel free to send along a paint shirt for your child(ren) to wear.
Course: KOC 07 Penguin Exploration
Description: Students will explore how penguins are able to stay dry while in water. Explore your creative side by making a penguin ornament.
Course: KOC 08 Penguin Disguise
Description: Learn fun facts about penguins and discover how penguins are able to camouflage themselves in the ocean. Students will make their own stuffed penguin.
Course: KOC 09 Canvas and Cookies
Description: Students will create a penguin picture on a 12” by 16” canvas. Discover the fun and ease behind creating your own canvas art by following along step by step with the instructor. Tired of painting — enjoy a cookie for a special treat.
- 9-9:15 a.m. Student Arrival, Opening Introductions
- 9:15-10:45 a.m. Class Time
- 10:45-11 a.m. Snack Break
- 11-11:45 a.m. Class Time
- 11:45 a.m.-noon Discussion and Wrap up
- Noon Dismissal
- 1-1:15 p.m. Student Arrival, Opening Introductions
- 1:15-2:45 p.m. Class Time
- 2:45-3 p.m. Snack Break
- 3-3:45 p.m. Class Time
- 3:45-4 p.m. Discussion and Wrap up
- 4 p.m. Dismissal
Please note. Morning and Afternoon course sessions may be combined contingent upon program enrollment.
- Location: Once payment has been received, a link will be sent in an email with drop off and pick-up procedures. Classes are held in Allyn Hall.
- Registration: To register, please complete the online application process. Register early to be sure to receive your first class choice. Maximum registration for each course is 16 students.
- Confirmation: Confirmation letters will be sent to you by email. The confirmation packets will include, classroom number, a campus map, information on parking, and arrival and departure details.
- Parent Information: Parents will drop-off and pick-up their children at the appropriate classroom.
- Snack Break: Students in both the AM and PM sessions will be provided with a snack of goldfish crackers and a drink. If allergies are a concern with your child, please send a snack for you child and let the instructor know that you are providing a special snack due to allergies. For December only, students will have tea with milk and sugar and shortbread cookies.
- Permission Statement: The program participation statement on the Registration Form must be signed in order to process your child’s registration.
- Location: The Kids on Campus program is held on the main campus of Wright State University. Maps will be included in your confirmation materials which will be sent by e-mail.
- Inclement Weather: In the event of severe weather, please check your email and the Pre-College website for information. No refunds will be given if Wright State is open and students choose not to attend.
- Refund Policy: A cancelation fee of $15 will be deducted from refunds requested by parents for reasons other than closed classes or class cancelations. Refunds will not be issued to any participant who is dismissed from the program for disciplinary reasons. Refunds must be requested two weeks prior to the class date.