- In order to maintain study skills, one of the most important factors in college is time management. Without it, many other important areas such as studying or leisure cannot stay in balance. Time is one of our most important resources. Effective time management is a skill most people need to make the most out of their personal and professional lives. To a college student, it can make the difference between a mediocre and a superior performance.
To manage time effectively, you must control it. When you do not consciously control time, your old habits will control your time and set limits on your achievements
Set your Priorities
- Set goals and develop steps to reach them. Identify non-essential activities that you can spend less time participating in. When setting daily goals, list everything on paper in order of importance that must be completed. See more in goals section
- It’s difficult to accomplish a goal when you do not know where to start. Develop short term goals, set goals for each semester for example. This way you can arrive at a final destination and reach your educational target. List long-term goals and develop a plan to obtain them. It’s difficult to get where you want without a plan.See more in goals section
- Schedule time to relax and recreate to avoid unexpected diversions. When studying, set your phone on silent, study in quiet rooms, and let your friends know when you’ll be studying.
Develop a flexible schedule
- Create flexible schedules. Schedule breaks and plan for interruptions. It’s important to schedule recreational breaks to reduce stress.
- To manage time effectively, you must practice self-discipline. Don’t make excuses to procrastinate homework. Schedule recreation with friends in advance.
Poor time management skills can have a number of negative consequences and develop damaging routine.
- Cramming Before Test - Cramming is an ineffective test preparation strategy. Begin studying as soon as possible. Begin studying for a test 2 hours a day a week prior to it. A couple days before the test, increase the time spent studying. It will be easier to remember what you’ve studied if you prepare in advance for a test.
- All Nighters - Do not put too much stress on your body. Be sure to schedule breaks during planned study sessions. Likewise, be sure to get enough sleep the night before a test. During scheduled breaks, do not dwell on school. It’s also helpful to exercise regularly and eat a nutritious meal just prior to the test.