Right Here. Right Now. Wright State.

COVID-19 information and resources. Visit our Coronavirus website.

Graduate Virtual Open House

Graduate School

Policies and Procedures

On this page:




Waiver of Undergraduate GPA in lieu of Graduate GPA

Students having master's or other advanced degrees, or who have previously completed 12 quarter or 9 semester credit hours at the graduate level with an overall graduate grade point average of 3.0, from an appropriately accredited academic institution or an academic institution with high academic standards deemed appropriate and acceptable by the Wright State academic program to which the student is applying may be admitted into Wright State graduate programs in regular status regardless of their undergraduate grade point averages provided the appropriate academic departments or programs recommend them for admission.

Admission from Non-Accredited Schools

Completion of a bachelor's degree program at an appropriately accredited academic institution or an academic institution with high academic standards may be deemed appropriate and acceptable by the Wright State academic program to which the student is applying.

Admission Procedure for Graduate Degree Status

  1. Students submit a completed graduate admission application to the Graduate School. Applications for admission and all supporting credentials, including test scores if required, should be received at least four weeks before registration for the semester in which the students wish to begin graduate study. Some programs require applications to be submitted substantially earlier; please consult with the individual program office for any program-specific deadlines.
  2. Students request the registrars of all colleges or universities previously attended to send one official transcript directly to the Graduate School. Official transcripts become the property of Wright State University and will not be returned to the applicant. If courses from one university/college appear on another university's/college's transcript, students are still required to submit an official transcript from the college where they initially completed the course work.
  3. Students pay a non-refundable $40 graduate application fee. Applicants who are McNair Scholars or who are in the NIH-funded Post-baccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP) program will have this fee waived. Such students must apply with a paper application or emailed PDF application form, and cannot use the online application system.
  4. Students submit appropriate test scores and/or documents such as letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, or statement of goals and objectives to satisfy particular program or departmental requirements. Applicants must also meet any additional requirements stipulated by a particular program.
  5. Students submit a completed and signed provisional memo of understanding for students requesting and/or being recommended by an academic program for provisional admission pending subsequent submission of their academic credentials. The memo, which must be on file in the Graduate School, details the conditions under which the students are being admitted. The final decision to accept students into provisional status is made by the Graduate School after reviewing the recommendations from the academic programs.
  6. The Graduate School reviews the completed admissions file, calculates a student's total undergraduate grade point average as well as a grade point average for any graduate work undertaken, and sends copies of the application and supporting documents to the appropriate program office for review and an admission recommendation.
  7. The program reviews the students' academic credentials and sends an admission recommendation to the Graduate School.
  8. The associate director of graduate admissions reviews the recommendation and the applicants' academic credentials to see if the Graduate School admissions requirements have been met.
  9. The associate director of graduate admissions notifies the applicants by letter in regard to any decisions regarding their admission.

Admission Procedure for Graduate Nondegree, Certification, and Transient Statuses

Applicants for non-degree status must submit a completed graduate application to the Graduate School and request an official transcript from the institution where they received their undergraduate or graduate degree. The official transcript must reflect the award of the degree.

Applicants for licensure status must submit a completed graduate application and request one official transcript to be sent directly to the Graduate School from each college and university previously attended. This also applies to applicants who hold a master's degree or higher.

Students applying for transient status must submit a completed form in lieu of official transcripts (See 1.17).

All applicants must pay a non-refundable application fee. Non-degree and transient students pay a $10 fee; licensure students pay a $40 fee.  In addition to the above, applicants may be required to meet specific college or program requirements to take graduate courses offered by those colleges or programs.

The associate director of graduate Admissions upon receipt of the completed application and all supporting documents reviews the file and renders a decision on non-degree and transient applications. Licensure applications are sent to the college for admission decisions.  

The Graduate School notifies the applicants by letter of the admission decision.

Change of Program 

Students who wish to change from one degree program to another must follow one of the procedures outlined below.

College of Education and Human Services students may request a program change by submitting a change of program form to the college's Office of Graduate Student Services. The College of Education and Human Services will consider approval of the move, and inform the Graduate School if the student’s program has been changed. The Graduate School will update the student’s records accordingly.

College of Nursing and Health students may request a change of concentration by submitting a change of concentration form to the College of Nursing and Health office. The college will consider approval of the move, and inform the Graduate School if the student’s program has been changed. The Graduate School will update the student’s records accordingly.

M.B.A. students in the Raj Soin College of Business who wish to change their concentration within that program may submit a request to the director of graduate business programs in the Raj Soin College of Business. The Raj Soin College of Business will consider approval of the change, and inform the Graduate School if the student’s program has been changed. The Graduate School will update the student’s records accordingly.

All other students requesting a change of program must complete and submit an application for admission to the Graduate School. (Note—new letters of recommendation may be required. If permission to use the previous letter(s) for the new program is granted in writing to the students by the original author(s) and the new program, new letters will not be required.) The application and supporting documents will be forwarded to and reviewed by the program concerned and subsequently by the associate director of graduate admissions. The Graduate School will notify students of the admission decision.

In all cases, students who change from one graduate program to another, or who change their concentration or major within a program, must file a new program of study with the Graduate School (see section 7.20) no later than the end of the second term after the start of the new program.

Back to top

Graduate Assistantships and Scholarships



Other Benefits

Graduate assistants and scholars may purchase regular student health insurance.

Back to top





Students must be admitted to the Graduate School to register for and earn graduate credit.

Procedure for Initial Registration

New students receive WINGS login credentials by mail from the Graduate School.

Students should register by the period indicated in the academic schedule. For students who register during the early registration period, fee statements and confirmation of registration will be mailed to the students. Fees must be paid on or before the date scheduled. Fee payments may be paid on WINGS Express or sent to or paid at the Bursar's Office.

Students who register during early registration and fail to pay fees by the deadline date will have an additional late payment fee placed on their account.

Students cannot register after the first week of the term without instructor permission.

Change in Registration

Students can change their registration on WINGS Express or in person by dropping or adding courses at RaiderConnect. Please refer to the academic schedule for deadline dates, fees, and/or refunds for dropping classes.

Withdrawal from Courses

Students may drop or withdraw from a course without a grade appearing on their record with a "W" substituting on their transcript for the course grade up to specific dates each term. Refer to the academic schedule for the deadlines that apply to drop or withdraw from a class.

Students who stop attending a course and do not make an official withdrawal through WINGS Express or at RaiderConnect will receive a grade of "F" or "X" at the instructor's discretion. The "X' grade remains on the students' permanent record and is computed in the grade point average as an "F." Not attending class or notifying an instructor does not constitute official withdrawal.

Back to top

Graduate Credit and Grades



Course Numbering System

  • 5000–5999: Courses that carry graduate credit only in a program field different from that of the department offering the course. Most such classes will be alternate designations of undergraduate courses usually numbered 3000–3999.
  • 6000–6999: Courses that carry graduate credit in any major fields that have alternate designations of undergraduate courses usually numbered 4000–4999.
  • 7000–7999: Courses intended for graduate students only.
  • 8000–9999: Courses designed for post master's- or doctoral-level work.

Credit Hour Limits

Graduate students may register for a maximum number of semester hours per term in accordance with Policy 3404.  Audited courses are not included.

Students appointed as graduate assistants shall register in accordance with the requirements specified in Policy 5120.

In order for a student to deviate from the regular registration limits listed above, the student's official academic advisor must submit a written request to the dean of the Graduate School for an exemption.

Graduate students with external full-time employment should typically register for no more than two courses per term. Students and faculty advisors should bear in mind the following in considering exceptions to this registration recommendation:

  • The student's employment and its effect on available time and mental alertness
  • The student's previous academic record
  • The nature of the course(s) taken and its (their) relationship to the student's program

Students who have graduate scholarships are required to register for a minimum of twelve graduate quarter hours or eight graduate semester hours.

Workshops and In-Service Courses

All students who have completed the graduate admission requirements may take workshops and in-service courses.

In addition, students granted special status are permitted to take specific workshop courses for graduate credit without being admitted to the Graduate School (See Policy 5010.6).

The Marking and Point Systems

Academic achievement is indicated by the following letter grades and points used in calculating grade point averages:

Grade Quality Level Grade Points per Credit Hour
A Highest 4
B Second 3
C Third 2
D Lowest 1
F Failed 0

X: Student failed to complete the course and did not withdraw. The grade X remains on the permanent record and is calculated in the grade point average as zero grade points.

The following symbols appear on the record, but are not included in calculating grade point averages:

  • Audit (L)—Given only if arranged at the time of registration.
  • No report (N)—Instructor did not report grade.
  • Passing (P)—A permanent grade which indicates work quality equivalent to a grade of "B" or better. It is given only for specifically approved courses.
  • Satisfactory (M)—A temporary grade which indicates satisfactory progress and that a permanent grade will be assigned upon completion of a course sequence. M grades may not be assigned to theses, dissertations, or similar capstone research projects.
  • Unsatisfactory Performance (U)—Equivalent to not passing or not satisfactory.
  • Incomplete (I)—Given only when part of the required work is missing, and arrangements have been made with the instructor to complete the work. "I" grades are reported to the Office of the Registrar on the grade report sheet. An incomplete grade agreement between the instructor and the student is not required. The "I" grade may remain on the student's academic record for up to two consecutive terms. This policy does not prohibit instructors from awarding an "I" grade for a lesser period of time. The student will have to make up an incomplete grade by the date the instructor has stipulated or if no date was stipulated, no later than the last day of classes of the second term. Failure to make up an incomplete grade will result in it being changed to a grade of "F." Instructors may extend, one time only, the "I" grade for up to an additional two consecutive terms by submitting a grade change form to the Office of the Registrar. If an "I" grade is awarded or an extension is granted for less than two terms, instructors must advise the student of the time period. If an "I" grade is assigned or an extension is granted for a period less than two terms, then it will be the responsibility of the instructor, after the specified period has expired, to assign a grade to the student by submitting a grade change form to the Office of the Registrar.
  • Withdrawal (W)—Given for courses from which the student withdrew or dropped during the fourth through fifth weeks of classes or equivalent, or for which the student petitioned for withdrawal.

Back to top

Academic Standards

Graduate Advising



Definition and Assignment of Academic Advisors

A graduate academic advisor is an individual (faculty or staff) affiliated with a graduate program and assigned to a graduate student. This advisor has primary responsibility for providing every opportunity for the student to succeed within the program. Graduate students should all be assigned an advisor no later than the beginning of their first semester. This assignment should be communicated to the student at the earliest possible opportunity, along with the advisor’s contact information. The advisor assignment should be recorded in the student’s banner record (or the appropriate university student information system of record) by the graduate program. Individuals assigned as graduate advisors should have appropriate graduate faculty status, as spelled out in the graduate council manual.

Back to top

Requirements for Master's Degrees



Foreign Language Requirement

A candidate for the master's degree may be required to demonstrate a reading knowledge of a foreign language. The student should consult with the individual department/ program to determine if this requirement exists.

This requirement may be met either by examination or by college credit. The student should consult with the individual department/program for details.


Some programs require a final comprehensive examination to test the candidates' mastery of the course of studies pursued. It may be written or oral, or both, at the option of the examining committee.

Arrangements for taking the examinations should be made with the candidates' advisors and the department at least three weeks in advance of the examination date.

Procedures for Petitioning for a Waiver of Graduate School Policies

Applicants and students who do not meet the minimum requirements for admission/readmission or wish to deviate from the normal Graduate School academic regulations and procedures may submit a petition to the Graduate School requesting a waiver to a requirement or regulation. The petition forms are available in the Graduate School Office (E344 Student Union) or can be downloaded using the link below.

Petitions requesting a waiver to an academic policy should contain the recommendation of the student’s advisor. Petitions relating to courses, i.e., withdrawals, grades, etc., must also contain the instructor’s recommendation. Petitions requesting an extension to the seven-year limit for completing degree requirements should contain the anticipated graduation date (advisors should stipulate on the petition which courses that will be more than seven years old will remain valid for the program requirements). Students should submit their petitions to the Graduate School. All petitions shall provide a rationale with supporting documentation for a waiver of any Graduate School policy or standard. Students who are in inactive status (have not completed at least one course in an academic year or have been dismissed from the Graduate School) or have not been admitted into a graduate status cannot petition an academic policy.

Before forwarding the petitions to the appropriate academic programs for a recommendation from chairs/directors, the Graduate School will make a record of the petitions and review them for clarity. Petitions that are illegibly written, grammatically incorrect, or otherwise unclear will be returned to the petitioners for correction and/or clarification. After reviewing the petitions and making their recommendations, the program chairs/advisors will forward the petitions to their college/school petitions committee (or equivalent) or program admissions committees to review and decide on their recommendations. The petitions will then be sent back to the Graduate School for the dean's review. The college or school to which the petition was sent must return the petition, with its recommendations, to the Graduate School within 20 business days of its being sent. Petitions that remain unreturned or unanswered for longer than this time frame may be considered by the Graduate School to be automatically denied. Upon concurrence of the dean of the Graduate School with the college/school recommendations, and the notification of the student and the college/school by the dean, the decision will become final. Unresolved differences between the students, the college/school, and/or the dean of the Graduate School shall be referred to the graduate council student affairs committee. The Office of the Registrar will be advised by the Graduate School of any actions taken as the result of an approved academic petition. The Office fo the Registrar will record such actions on the student's academic record.

College/school decisions on petitions are not final. As the above procedures indicate, a college's/school's decision on a petition may be questioned by the dean of the Graduate School. In the event of a lack of concurrence, the graduate council's student affairs committee is empowered to resolve such differences. Because of the above, it is mandatory that the Graduate School, and not the colleges/schools, officially inform the students of the disposition of each petition.

After being notified of a petition decision, students may appeal the decision to the Dean of the Graduate School. The dean will present all appeals to the student affairs committee of the graduate council. Any waiver of a university-wide or Graduate School requirement, including admissions requirements, may be questioned or appealed to the student affairs committee, and the Graduate School alone will notify the petitioning student of the final disposition of that petition. The university must speak with one voice in cases where administrative and even legal problems may result.

The Graduate School sends written notification of the final decision rendered on the petition to the student within ten days of the decision.

The Graduate School may request that academic programs make a final decision and notify the students of the decision on petitions requesting a waiver to a program requirement which is not a Graduate School policy or procedure.

Students wanting to appeal a grade or request a grade change should do so by following the students' college or school grade appeal process.

Petitions and/or recommendations requesting the removal from a student's record of the hours and points received for a course (the course and grade will remain on the student's record) may be resolved by the college or school petitions committee and the Graduate School. If there are unresolved differences between the Dean of the Graduate School, the program, and the college or school petitions committee, the petition will be referred to the student affairs committee of the graduate council for a final decision.

Summary of Degree Requirements

The following is a summary of the requirements that graduate students must complete to earn a master's degree at Wright State University.

  • Have a completed program of study on file in the Graduate School office.
  • Completed the program requirements for a master's degree within seven calendar years.
  • Achieved a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 in all courses taken for graduate credit. (No more than six semester hours of "C" may be applied to the degree requirements.)
  • Register for at least one credit hour during the term in which a thesis is defended.
  • Complete a final comprehensive examination (if required in the program).
  • Present one copy of an approved thesis (if required in the program) and approval of the dean of the Graduate School.
  • Completed at least 50 percent of the credit hours at Wright State.

Individual graduate programs have requirements and standards which must be met in addition to the general requirements set forth above. Students should consult their advisor/program to ensure that these requirements have been or are being met.

Back to top

Post-Master's Level Degree Programs



Post-Master's Level Degree Programs

At the present time, Wright State University offers seven research doctoral-level degrees, four professional doctoral degrees, and one post-master's specialist degree: the Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences; the Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering;  the Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering; the Ph.D. in Engineering; the Ph.D. in Environmental Sciences; the Ph.D. in Human Factors and Industrial/Organizational Psychology; Ph.D. in Interdisciplinary Applied Science and Mathematics; the Doctor of Nursing Practice; the Ed.D. in Organizational Studies; the M.D. in Medicine; the Psy.D. in Professional (Clinical) Psychology; and the Educational Specialist degree in Educational Leadership.

Back to top

Doctoral Requirements



Other Requirements for Doctoral Degree

Students in doctoral programs are expected to comply with the continuing registration policy.

Students in doctoral programs are not normally allowed to work simultaneously on another graduate program unless that program is an integral part of the doctoral program in which the student has matriculated or the student was admitted into an approved dual program.

Back to top

Procedure for Graduation

Application for Degree

The university has established the following filing periods for submitting applications for graduation. Applications may be submitted in advance of the earliest date indicated for the anticipated completion date.

Students in programs requiring a thesis or dissertation must be registered for at least one hour of graduate credit, as designated by the department, during the semester in which the successful defense of a thesis or dissertation is accomplished.

The graduation application is available online only. To submit the online graduation application and payment, follow these steps:

  • Go into WINGS Express.
  • Select the Student and Financial Aid tab.
  • Once there, select the Registration and Records menu link.
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the menu and select the Apply for Graduation link.

There is a $35 fee each time a graduation application is submitted.

Students applying for graduation from multiple programs must fill out a graduation application for each degree.

The Office of Graduation Services submits the application for the degree to the department. The department verifies that the student will have completed all program requirements for the term indicated on the application and is ready to graduate.

If students are unable to complete their degree requirements by the specified deadline, a new application must be submitted through WINGS Express for the following term. There is a $35 fee each time a graduation application is submitted.


Commencement is held twice annually at the end of fall and spring semesters. Students who complete their degree requirements in either Summer or Fall Semester may participate in the fall ceremony. Spring graduates may participate in the spring ceremony.

Eligible graduates must register to participate in the appropriate commencement ceremony by visiting the Commencement website.

Back to top