Testing Services provides placement tests in Math and English (Writing) to help determine the proper beginning course for new Wright State University students who have not completed a college-level course in mathematics or English composition.
On this page:
The Math Placement Test must be completed in a supervised setting. The following options are available:
- Dayton Campus Students: Register to take the math placement test at Wright State University's Dayton Campus.
- Lake Campus Students: To register for a math placement test at Wright State University's Lake Campus in Celina, Ohio, please call (419) 586-0300 to make an appointment.
- Off-Site: It is possible to take the math placement assessment in one of several cities across the state. To be eligible for off-site test proctoring, you must be plan to attend Wright State full- or part-time during the current or upcoming academic year. Also, if you take an off-site test, you are solely responsible for proctoring fees and related charges as required by administrators at approved "off-site" locations. (This option is not available for College Credit Plus applicants. If you are applying for College Credit Plus, you may take your proctored test at the Dayton or Lake Campus.)
You must register for and complete a supervised Math Placement Test before you will have access to the Prep and Learning Modules.
The Wright State Writing Placement Test can be completed without on-site supervision.
National Testing at Wright State includes the American College Test (ACT) and ACT Residual, Law School Admission Test (LSAT). Miller’s Analogy Test (MAT), HESI RN Exam for Nursing, Oral Proficiency Test (OPT) and the TOEFL English language test. Not all tests are available to be taken on campus. Please check each test’s section on the linked page. For confirmation of testing dates, registration deadlines, or fees, call Testing Services at (937) 775-5770.
After applying for the College Credit Plus (CCP) program and receiving your Wright State credentials, you may begin placement tests. If you have already taken the ACT or SAT and submitted your test scores to Wright State, you will receive a letter from Admissions that will tell you which placement test(s) you need to complete. For more information about CCP at Wright State, choose one of the resource links below:
Where can I find out more about my Wright State account credentials? I need to know my Campus username and password (or my UID and PIN).
Please visit the Wright State University Accounts page to learn more about your Campus & Office 365 Accounts. If you continue to have trouble, you may call the CaTS Help Desk at (937) 775-4827 (Toll-free: 1-888-775-4827).
Do I need to take Wright State's placement tests if I have placement results from another college?
Yes. Since courses vary from institution to institution, you should take Wright State's placement test as soon as possible unless:
- You have the appropriate transfer credit from another institution.
- You meet ACT or SAT requirements for the highest English composition course and/or for the best entry-level math or science course for your intended major.
If you have course credit for a college-level math or writing course, you must send your final grades or transcripts to the Office of Admissions and talk to an academic advisor before testing to avoid unnecessary fees.
I just submitted my writing placement test, and there is no grade for the test. Why can’t I find my score?
It takes up to two weeks to receive a score on the writing placement test.
I signed up for the math placement test, but I haven’t heard where to go for the test. What should I do?
Please check your Wright State email account. You may have messages waiting for you in that account. Learn more about your different Wright State University accounts.
Visit the Office 365 Overview page to learn how to set up your email.
If you have checked your email and still haven’t heard where to take your math placement test, you may send email to Testing Services from your Wright State email account (so we know who you are and that your email is set up). In your message, please share your question, include your full name, email, and telephone number with area code so that we can contact you at our earliest convenience.
I need my writing (or math) placement score because I have Orientation tomorrow. How can I test?
While we encourage you to have your placement testing completed before Orientation, if you have not had the opportunity to complete your on-site Math Placement test assessment or your online Writing Placement assessment, your next best option is to complete these important steps as soon as you can, even if this means that you attend Orientation without the expected preparation. This means that you must still attend your scheduled Orientation, but when you come, your academic advisor might not be able to place you into your ideal math or writing course. You will be able to register for other courses.
I am a College Credit Plus student who needs to know more information. What should I do?
To learn about Wright State's College Credit Plus (CCP) program, please see the College Credit Plus Enrollment Process.
If you have questions about CCP registration or academic advising at the Dayton Campus, you may email us at email@example.com.
If you are taking CCP courses at the Lake Campus in Celina, Ohio, please call (419) 586-0300 to learn more.