Transfer Admissions

Transfer Credit

On this page:


Join our academic community and be close to home! One of the most common questions is “Will my credits transfer?” There is an important distinction between transferability and applicability of transfer credits.

Transferability means the credit hours earned from another school will be added to your Wright State transcript. A grade of D or higher earned at any regionally accredited institution will transfer, as long as the course is a college-level course. Developmental courses will not transfer into Wright State.

Applicability means the transfer credits posted to your Wright State transcript fulfill requirements toward your degree. The applicability of credit depends on previously established course equivalencies, statewide policies, and evaluations by academic advisors or faculty. Credits from a regionally accredited college or university may be transferable, but they may not be applicable to your degree requirements at Wright State.

Wright State accepts credits from colleges and universities that are regionally accredited. Regional accrediting agencies are the Higher Learning Commission, Middle States, New England, Northwest, Southern, and Western Associations of Colleges and Schools, and the American Council on Education for military credits. Visit the Council of Higher Education to find out if your credits are from a regionally accredited institution.

How will I know what credits will apply to my degree?

Meet with an academic advisor for an unofficial transfer credit review

You may schedule a virtual meeting at the Dayton Campus or contact Enrollment Services at the Wright State University–Lake Campus to discuss your transcripts and help you get an unofficial review of your transfer credits.

Consult your degree audit

Once you have submitted official transcripts and you are admitted, the registrar will evaluate and post the credit to your student record. These credits will appear on your student record under your degree audit.

Use Transferology

Transferology is a free online tool that can help you determine the transferability and applicability of your credits.

You can use several of the resources, including:

  • Viewing program/major requirements
  • Creating a program plan that shows equivalencies

Creating a plan is easy! If you create a free account, you can do all of the above and:

  • Enter and store the classes you have completed
  • Run a program plan to see how your classes will apply toward your degree

Please note: If your school or course is not listed, this does not mean your credits are non-transferable. Contact admissions at 937-775-4830 or with questions.

What if I want to appeal my audit of transfer credits?

If, after consulting with your advisor or program director, and submitting syllabi for faculty review, you would like to appeal the audit of transfer courses, please complete the Transfer Appeal Form (DOCX) within 90 days of receiving this email. Graduate transfer credit decisions are determined by the academic program director and cannot be appealed using this form.

I am a veteran. What should I do about my military credits and transcripts?

Although military transcripts are not required (except Community College of the Air Force), you may submit them to receive credit. Visit the Veteran and Military Center Transcript Requests page for more information on how and where to order military transcripts for each branch of the U.S. military.

What about credit for professional experience or courses I took through my employer?

Wright State recognizes you may acquire knowledge through professional experience or other methods of instruction. There are several methods to demonstrate your knowledge of college credit. Find out more on our Prior Learning Assessment page.