Right Here. Right Now. Wright State.

COVID-19 information and resources. Visit our Coronavirus website.

Transfer Admissions

Transfer Credits and Evaluation

On this page:

About transfer credits

One of the most common questions potential transfer students ask is “Will my credits transfer?” It is important to know the difference between transferability and applicability of transfer credits.

Transferability means the credit hours earned from another school will be posted to your Wright State transcript. You will receive transfer credit for any college-level coursework for which you received a grade of D or higher. Developmental courses will not transfer to Wright State.

Applicability means the transfer credits posted to your Wright State transcript apply toward your degree. The applicability of credit depends on previously established course equivalencies, statewide policies, and evaluations by academic advisors or faculty. Credits may be transferable, but not always applicable to your degree requirements at Wright State.

Type of credits accepted

Wright State accepts credits from regionally accredited colleges and universities. These regional accrediting agencies include the Higher Learning Commission, Middle States, New England, Northwest, Southern State, and Western Associations of Colleges and Schools. We also accept courses from international institutions formally recognized by their country's ministry of education or its equivalent. 

You can also receive credit for other types of learning experiences. At Wright State, you can be awarded college credit for prior learning such as military training, experience, and coursework; external credit-by-exams like AP, CLEP, IB, DSST, and Excelsior College Credit by Exams; and career-technical courses and programs through Ohio’s Career-Technical Assurance Guide (CTAG) program*. You may also be awarded credit from non-regionally accredited colleges or universities. There are also opportunities to demonstrate your prior learning through our exams and portfolio processes for certain courses. 

High School Dual Enrollment or Ohio's College Credit Plus (CCP) Students: Your high school counselor can provide you with a list of colleges/universities you attended through the program. Request an official transcript from each of the institutions you enrolled in either at your high school or on a college campus. 

*If you participated in a career-technical program while in high school, don’t forget to mark “Yes” on CTAG credit. If you are not certain if you are eligible for this credit, our Transfer Team will help you. 

Unofficial transfer credit evaluation   

Take advantage of two easy ways to find out how your credit will apply to your degree: 

  1. Contact our Transfer Team at transfer@wright.edu.
  2. Use Transferology, a free online tool. 


Transfer credit appeal process

All of your transfer credits are officially evaluated and posted once you have been admitted to Wright State. The results of the transfer credit evaluation will show their applicability on the degree audit report. The degree audit will be available through WINGS Express. The next step will be for you to meet and review the degree audit with your academic advisor. You may find certain courses were not equated to a Wright State course or applied toward a requirement. In such a case, your advisor will assist you in getting those courses evaluated by the appropriate department. After your conversation with your advisor and a department evaluation process, you may still disagree with the results.  

After going through the process described so far, you may file a transfer credit appeal form in writing. Your appeal form must be submitted to the Director of University Academic Advising within 90 days of receiving your transfer credit evaluation. Appeals will be reviewed by the transfer credit appeal committee. You will receive a response to the appeal within 30 days of the receipt of the appeal.