Academic Advising

Why Am I In University College:

University College is the college within Wright State University that helps first-year, transfer and adult students transition successfully to college and into appropriate majors in one of Wright State's degree-granting colleges.

University College offers a multitude of services to assist these students in meeting the requirements for entering their chosen major. 


Academic Advising provides advising to most direct-from-high-school students, as well as transfer, returning, and adult students assigned to University College. With nearly 3,000 students, it is the largest undergraduate advising office on campus.

Advisors assist students with their transition into the university, discussing such issues as course selection, placement levels, the Wright State Core requirements, and helpful resources. Advisors ensure that students understand how to read their degree audit (DARS) and understand the admission requirements to their major. Students can find curriculum requirements and a sample four-year degree path for each undergraduate major in the university's online catalog through the Programs link.

The goal of Academic Advising is to promote student retention through the first-year and to ensure a seamless transition of students from University College into one of the six degree-granting undergraduate colleges.


Post-Secondary Enrollment Option Students (PSEO)

Advisors work collaboratively with the Admissions Office to help PSEO students identify and register for specific college courses permitted for their enrollment in the PSEO program.

Adult and Transfer Students

  • Advisors collaborate with other university offices to help provide quality advising for adult and transfer students.
  • Advisors help students understand the requirements for their individual degree programs in order to ensure timely movement out of the University College into a degree-granting college.
  • All transfer students should submit transcripts from previous institutions prior to meeting with advisors in the University College.
  • All adult and transfer students are encouraged to complete the online orientation program.
  • Transfer students with prior college credit in English and Mathematics may not need to take the university’s placement tests in these subjects. Consult an academic advisor or the Testing Services office for help.
  • Please visit the Transfer Center’s web page for transfer programs (articulation agreements) and much more.