If you did not purchase health insurance prior to departure for the United States you will need to purchase it upon arrival. Without health insurance that meets the requirements of the Department of State you will not be in compliance with your visa requirements and the UCIE will not be able to validate your arrival. The specific requirements for coverage are:
• $100,000 medical benefits per accident or illness.
• $25,000 repatriation of remains.
• $50,000 medical evacuation to home country.
• $500 ceiling on deductible per illness or accident.
Furthermore, the insurance corporation underwriting the insurance policy must meet or exceed the following ratings:
1. an A.M. Best rating of 'A-'; OR
2. an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of 'A-i'; OR
3. a Standard & Poor’s claims-paying ability rating of 'A-'; OR
4. a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of 'B+'
Please remember that if you have arrived with a spouse or dependents that you will need to purchase insurance coverage for them as well. If you purchased an insurance policy in your home country that will provide coverage to you in the U.S., please bring an English translation copy of your coverage.
The following is a list of resources that can be utilized to research health insurance coverage options for you and your family.