Summary of Position
University Writing Center Writing Coaches provide individual writing support to students. Traditionally and/or online, Writing Coaches use a discussion-based method of challenge and support to help students develop their skills as writers.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Completed at least 15 credit hours at Wright State University
- Earned a grade of A or B in ENG 1100 or the equivalent
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Access to technology needed to work remotely, including a reliable internet connection and a computer with a microphone and camera
- Currently enrolled at Wright State University
- Undergraduate students must register for a minimum of 6 credit hours during each semester that they work.
- Graduate students must register for a minimum of 3 credit hours during each semester that they work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare for and conduct Writing Center sessions
- Meet punctually and regularly, including weekly staff meetings
- Provide support and encouragement
- Respect confidentiality of sessions
- Support course objectives
- Motivate students
- Maintain professional & academic nature of sessions
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills
- Work flexible times around your classes
- Participate in the development of workshops and training materials
- Participate in outreach activities, e.g. presenting information regarding academic support available through the University
- Maintain a weekly schedule of available hours
To apply for a Writing Coach position, complete the application copy linked below, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org:
After we receive your application, a Writing Center representative will contact you at your Wright State email address.
For additional information on becoming a Writing Coach, contact Jill Tussing.