Student Employment Policies-Procedures-Answers

The Constitutional Amendment passed by Ohio voters in November 2006 states that Ohio’s minimum wage shall increase on January 1st of each year by the rate of inflation. The state minimum wage is tied to the Consumer Price Index (CPI).

Equal Opportunity

As a public educational institution, Wright State University is determined to establish and maintain an environment of academic excellence. Implicit in that determination is the recognition that all members of the university community must have an equal opportunity to develop and utilize their full potential. Accordingly, it is the university's policy to provide equal opportunity to all employees, students, and applicants for employment or admission, without regard to their race, sex, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.

For more information: Office of Equity and Inclusion

Policy.Wright.Edu: Policy Number 8001 Discrimination and Harassment Based on Protected Class

Search for Student Employment

What is Student Employment?

Part-time, general service and labor positions that do not require a degree, and typically do not require specific major(s).

For current Wright State students during and between periods of attendance, accommodating their student schedule.

Student Employment Eligibility

All Wright State students must register and attend classes for at least half-time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours during each semester that they work).

Undergraduate and graduate students may work during Summer, December, or Spring breaks, if they are registered for the semester immediately following the break.

Graduate students with an active Graduate Assistantship through the Graduate School are NOT eligible for Student Employment.

Undergraduate and graduate students may work Summer semester without being registered for at least half-time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours) if, and only if, they are pre-registered for Fall semester. This option is also at the discretion of the supervisor, as it requires an additional contribution to the state retirement system.

During each semester they work (including Summer semester), students wishing to use Federal Work-Study must be registered at least half-time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours).

A student registered for less than half-time (fewer than 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours) may be eligible for a one semester exception to the minimum credit hours requirement, only in their final semester, with proper academic documentation.

Additional Information for International Students

UCIE On-Campus Employment Authorization Guide

Review additional employment information for international students on the University Center for International Education website.

Maximum Working Hours

Students may work a maximum of 28 hours per week for all jobs combined.

Exceptions to Working Hours Policy
  1. Students using Federal Work-Study in an off-campus tutoring program may only work 20 hours per week.
  2. International students may work 20 hours a week during the weeks of an Academic Semester, including exam week.
  3. International students may work 28 hours a week during their International Student Academic Semester Break (as it occurs in the Summer, Fall or Spring semester), if they are pre-registered for the required hours for the upcoming semester immediately following their International Student Academic Semester Break.
Additional International Student Regulations

International students who are registered as full-time (12 or more undergraduate; 6 or more graduate credit hours) may never exceed 20 hours per week, at any time, per immigration regulations [8 C.F.R. § 214.2(f) (9) (i)]. International students who exceed the maximum allowable work hours, will be terminated immediately from all Student Employment positions and will remain terminated for a period of time, often 10 weeks or more, or terminated permanently, based on UCIE determination.

International students are allowed to take their official International Student Academic Semester Break during any semester (does not have to be Summer). This official break must be approved by the University Center of International Education (UCIE) . Then, to be eligible for student employment, the student must bring to the Career Center the F1 or J1 Reduction Course load Certification given to them by UCIE.

Student Employment Maximum Working Hours Summation Table

Student Type

Fall & Spring Semesters

Summer Semester

Exam Week During Fall & Spring Semesters

University Breaks (Holiday, Spring)

University Center for International Education (UCIE) Official Break

Domestic Students

28 hours

28 hours, if:
registered at least half-time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours) for Summer semester
pre-registered at least half-time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours) for Fall semester.

28 hours

28 hours if pre-registered for the following semester

Not applicable

International Students

20 hours

20 hours if registered full-time (12 or more undergraduate; 6 or more graduate credit hours) for Summer semester;
28 hours if registered at least half-time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours) for Summer semester;
28 hours if registered for 0 credit hours for Summer semester but registered for at least half-time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours) for Fall semester.

20 hours

28 hours if pre-registered for the following semester

28 hours

Federal Work-Study Award & Work-Study Jobs

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a form of financial aid awarded to a student, by the Office of Financial Aid.

The Federal Work-Study Program allows students with financial need, who are enrolled at least half time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours), to earn money at on-campus or off-campus jobs qualifying for Federal Work-Study support. In qualifying on-campus jobs, the federal support provides 75% of the student's gross wages, and the employing department pays the remaining 25%.  In qualifying off-campus Reading Tutor jobs, Federal Work-Study support provides 100% of the student’s wages.

Students may only use their Federal Work-Study award toward one job at a time.

Some job postings are limited to students who have Federal Work-Study awards. Such positions are identified in the job postings, in the Career Center database.

Eligibility to participate in the Federal Work-Study Program is based on the student's financial need and is determined during review of the student's Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

If a student has been granted a Federal Work-Study award, it will appear on the student’s Financial Aid Award, viewable by the student through their WINGS Express account.

As a courtesy, the Student Employment staff will monitor student employee Federal Work-Study Awards, and, when possible, will notify the employer and the student employee prior to the award being exhausted. If the department wishes to retain the student once the award is exhausted, the student may be continued in the job with Regular funding status (the department is then charged for 100% of the student's wages).

Employers must notify Student Employment staff in writing of their intention to convert a student from Federal Work-Study funding to Regular funding status. The communication must include the department name, organization and fund codes, student name, and student UID.

If the department does not have the resources to pay 100% of the student wages, they are not obligated to continue to employ the student in Regular status.

Students wishing to use Federal Work-Study must be registered at least half-time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours).

All questions regarding Federal Work-Study awards should be directed to RaiderConnect.

Position Types

Table of On-Campus Student Employment Advanced Option Employer Division filters in Handshake



Regular only

Part-time, on-campus positions for which the employing department funds 100% of the cost of the student's wages. All students are eligible for SE On-Campus Student Employment Regular only.

Work Study only

Part-time, on-campus positions prequalified by the University Career Center as Work-Study, in which the student's Federal Work-Study Award funds 75% of the student's gross wages, and the employing department pays the remaining 25%, until the student's Federal Work-Study award is exhausted (at which time, continued employment as SE On-Campus Student Employment Regular is at the discretion of the employing department). Only students with accepted Federal Work-Study Awards in their financial aid package are eligible for SE OnCampus Work Study Positions.

Regular or Work Study Students with or without Federal Work Study Award are eligible for SE On-Campus Student Employment Work Study or Regular.

Job Fair in Summer & Other Opportunities

In the Summer, for Fall Opportunities, participate in Student Employment Virtual Job Fair

Please note:
The summer Virtual Fair is an early access event for supervisors and students planning for Fall Semester.
New on-campus Student Employment jobs are posted in Handshake throughout the year.

How to Find & Apply for Student Employment Jobs

Standard Student Employment Application Form

Is the Student Employment Application Form needed for your job? Follow the application instructions preferred by the supervisor, as described in the job posting.

The Student Employment Application Form is optimized for use in Chrome and Internet Explorer.

The Student Employment Job Application is designed to be downloaded, filled in, and saved to your computer, using Adobe® Acrobat® Reader®

Student Employment Job Application (PDF)

If your Application Form appears blank when reopened or when sent to the supervisor, contact, including whether you use Windows or Apple system, and what software you are using to complete the form.

Student Employment Hiring Process


How to Post a Job & Hire a Student

Ready to post a job in Handshake and hire a student?

Equal Opportunity requires that each job be posted for five (5) working days before a hiring decision can be made.

Every position must be created in the Wright State University On-Campus Student Employment account in Handshake, and approved for posting by the University Career Center.

Students may not begin working until their paperwork processing is complete - review details.

Supervisor steps for hiring a student employee

Position Description

Supervisors seeking to fill positions must first ensure that they have a current job description and job classification. The job description must be maintained by the hiring department for auditing purposes.

Supervisor Forms

Don't have a Wright State University On-Campus Student Employment job posting account in Handshake?

Step one: request account

Step two: review slideshow

Step three: logging in. If you are staff or faculty only, use email login; if also a student, use Campus Username login.

Questions? Email Carleen Beckermann in the Career Center, or (937) 775-2556.

How to Post a Job

Student Employment operates a self-referral system. Students contact hiring departments directly to apply for advertised positions.

To review candidate qualifications, hiring departments may require candidates to complete the Student Employment Application, the department’s own application, and/or to submit résumés.

If the student employment application is used, and all questions on the application are not completed, it is recommended by the Office of Human Resources that the application be considered incomplete and not viable.

If the position requires a background check, contact the Human Resources Department. Human Resources recommends that a conditional offer be made to the student until a background check is completed. If a conditional offer of employment is made, the student is not permitted to work until the background check is complete. Contact the Human Resources Department to initiate a background check.

Human Resources will receive the results of the background check and advise the hiring official on the pending offer.

Submit paperwork to Student Employment

To have an electronic time card available for the pay period, all hiring paperwork must be submitted to Student Employment before 4:00 p.m. on the second Monday of the pay period. Since time sheets are due on the Friday of the second week of the pay period, Student Employment requires the remainder of that week to ensure that students are entered into Banner and that electronic time sheets are available to submit by the payroll deadline.

Student Employment Processing Hours

Before the student begins working in the position, they must bring their hiring forms for processing to Student Employment, during regular processing hours.

VERY IMPORTANT: A student employee should NEVER begin working until a Student Employment Hiring Packet of required forms has been processed by Student Employment; this is a federal policy. A student is not officially authorized to work until Student Employment receives and approves all employment forms. Therefore, a student should not submit paperwork and expect that a time sheet will be available to record hours worked prior to the approved start date.

Dayton campus students must deliver their Student Hiring Packet in person, to Student Employment, during Student Employment Processing Hours. Student Employment Hiring Packets sent via campus mail will not be processed, except those sent from Lake Campus.

Supervisors who hire several students at one time may make special arrangements for a group processing session by contacting Student Employment at (937) 775-2556.

Additional International Student Information

Before the hiring packet for an international student can be submitted to Student Employment, the Student Employment Authorization form must be presented to the University Center for International Education (UCIE) by the international student in order to apply for Work Authorization.

Once the international student receives the Work Authorization from UCIE, the student must bring the hiring packet to Student Employment for processing, a passport, I-94 document, a receipt from the Social Security office (if the student does not yet have a Social Security Card), and the I-20.

If an international student has been terminated from a student employment position during a previous semester, and does not plan to begin working in a student employment position again until after the start of a new semester, the student must then request a new Work Authorization from UCIE and submit it to Student Employment along with a copy of the email from UCIE documenting the new, approved Work Authorization.

Summer, Fall Rehire Process & Student Eligibility

Summer Rehire

Rehiring Student Employee(s) for Summer Semester 2018 (PDF)

Supervisors: How to calculate OPERS impact for Summer

Fall Rehire Process & Student Eligibility

To be eligible to be processed as a fall rehire student employee, a student:

  1. Must be registered for fall semester classes before the date designated by Student Employment,
  2. Meet the minimum required number of credit hours, and
  3. If offered Federal Work-Study in the Financial Aid package, must have accepted or declined their award.

In the middle of summer semester, Student Employment will send supervisors a blank fall rehire form to complete, identifying all the student employees who will be rehired with the start of Fall semester. Students whose names are submitted on a fall rehire form do not have to bring an Authorization Form to Student Employment.

Any student on the Fall Rehire form who will be employed for fall semester but has not pre-registered for fall semester classes by the designated date for eligibility, must submit a Student Employment Authorization form in person during Student Employment Processing Hours.

Student Employment Paperwork Processing Hours

Compensation for Student Employment

Job Class/Pay Structure and Position/Job Title Rate of Pay

Hiring supervisors are responsible for determining a fair and equitable position/job title rate of pay. All student employee positions/job titles pay at least the state minimum wage. For each position/job title, supervisors must complete a Position Description form and use the criteria in the student employee job class/pay structure to determine the appropriate job class and rate of pay. The rate of pay is based on the job class within the pay structure and the position/job title, not the individual student. In addition to the job class/pay structure, the hiring supervisor determining the initial position/job title rate of pay may consider required qualifications such as:

  • Relevant course completion required for the position
  • Directly-related prior experience required for the position
  • Complexity of responsibilities and tasks
  • Specific knowledge and skill requirements

Multiple students in the same department, hired into the same position/job title, must have the same job class and rate of pay.

Supervisors must maintain accurate and updated Position Description forms within the unit files for audit purposes. The job class pay structure titles listed on the student employee job class pay structure are categorical. Specific working position/job titles are often used for unit purposes. Specific working position/job titles must be listed the same on the job posting and on the Student Employment Authorization form for each student hired in the same position/job title.  

A rate of pay change for an individual student must be associated with a position/job title change or an updated position description if the position responsibilities have significantly changed since the student was hired. Pay rate increases are not awarded based upon merit (good job performance) and/or the length of time a student works within a specific position/job title. If a student is assigned new and added responsibilities different from the position/job title hired into and the new position description warrants a change of job class or position/job title rate of pay, the supervisor must document the changes on a new Position Description form and maintain the documentation within the unit files. Please email position change information to with the following information:

  • Student initials (not full name of student)
  • Student UID
  • Existing position/job title and current rate of pay
  • New position/job title or title of the updated position, and updated position/job title rate of pay
  • Effective date – no earlier than the beginning of the next pay period or the beginning of any future pay period.

The University has established a pay structure for student employees as of 08/2/2014:

Pay Structure for Student Employees
BASIC LEVEL Basic Student Worker 1

$8.30 - $10.00

Selection Criteria:

Minimal (if any) prior knowledge or training required
Training provided
Routine responsibilities
Follow well-defined policies and procedures
May have access to confidential information
Independent judgment is limited
Close and direct supervision

Intermediate Level Intermediate Student Worker 2 $10.01-$14.00
Selection Criteria:

Prior relevant course and/or work experience required
Assignments require special knowledge or skills
Technical or research skills may be required
May have supervision responsibilities on a limited scope
May have access to confidential information
Some independent judgment
Moderate supervision provided
May required a significant amount of physical exertion, adverse hours, or working conditions
Advanced Level Advanced Student Worker 3 $14.01-$20.00
Selection Criteria:

Requires specific and unique competitive job market skills
Completion of specific relevant courses and/or work experience required
Assignments require advanced knowledge, skills or abilities
Demonstrated ability to perform the job duties
May serve as a leader or trainer to student staff
May have access to confidential information
Independent judgment and decision-making; makes formal recommendations
Limited supervision provided; seeks guidance as necessary
Extensive problem solving skills
Highly Specialized Level Highly Specialized Student Worker 4 $20.01+
Selection Criteria:

Reserved for highly specialized, technical, or scientific positions
Graduate student with earned Bachelor degree or 3rd or 4th year undergraduate student with significant equivalent experience with substantially relevant skills required
Completion of specific relevant courses and/or work experience required
Demonstrated ability to perform the job duties
May supervise projects and/or other student staff
Independent judgment; makes formal recommendations; uses high level decision-making
Performs complex data analysis and decision-making in design, experimentation, and construction
High levels of confidentiality
Interpretation of complex policies and procedures
Advanced written and oral communication skills
Supervision provided as needed

Assignment of Student Employment to Budgetary Accounts

Organization and fund codes to which student employee wages are to be allocated must be documented on each Student Employment Authorization form.

Student Employment Authorization forms submitted without the organization and fund codes cannot be accepted or processed by the Student Employment staff.

A request to transfer a student employee from one organization and fund code to another must be submitted in writing, by a departmental authority, to the Student Employment Office.

It is the responsibility of the department representative to notify the Student Employment staff of an organization and fund code termination at least one month prior to the account's termination. Lack of notification may result in incorrect allocation of student wages.

Calculating Federal Work-Study Student Work Hours

There are 18 pay periods in the academic year, including fall and spring breaks, and 26 pay periods in the entire year if including summer.

  1. To determine the number of hours a student can work per pay period for a specific length of time without going over the total award amount, complete the following calculation:
    Total FWS award / rate of pay / pay periods expected to work = hours the student can work in one pay period.
    Example: $4000 / $8.30 / 18 pay periods = 26 hours that the student can work in one pay period (two weeks), to avoid exceeding the total award granted.
  2. To determine the number of pay periods a student can work with a desired number of work hours per week without exceeding the total award amount, complete the following calculation:
    Total FWS award / rate of pay / desired work hours per pay period (two weeks) = number of pay periods student can work before exhausting award.
    Example: $4000 / $8.30 / 40 hours per pay period (20 hours per week) = 12 pay periods (24 weeks) the student can work using Federal Work-Study.

Student Completion of Web Time Entry & Access to Pay Stubs

Students are paid bi-weekly. Pay periods begin on Saturday and end on Friday. The "Pay Period End Date" is the date by which web time entry of hours must be completed.

It is recommended that student employees enter their hours each day, as the hours are worked.

The Pay Period Schedule may be altered due to holidays, closures, or other circumstances, as needed.

Updates are posted to the online Pay Period Schedule. Check frequently.

Pay Period Schedule

Electronic time sheets are completed and submitted online in WINGS Express.

The Payroll Department requires all student employees to use online time entry, or may use paper time cards, only if the Payroll Department or Student Employment grants an exception. Blank time cards are available on the Payroll Forms, FAQs, & Links page.

A student that has not enrolled in direct deposit may pick up the first paycheck in Payroll, 301 University Hall. The student must have a picture ID. After the first paycheck, all other paychecks will be mailed to the student’s permanent address. The student is responsible for updates to their permanent address.

A Web Time Entry Video, provided by Computing and Telecommunications Services (CaTS), is available to train supervisors and student employees on the process of electronically entering time worked.

CaTS also provides a video training to teach student employees how to print their pay stub.

Students are required to set up direct deposit when they are initially hired. Pay remittance advices - "pay stubs" -  are available online in WINGS Express. Students log on to the secure website by using the assigned UID and PIN. Students can obtain help accessing this site from the CaTS Help Desk, (937) 775-4827.

Supervisors: Find your Approver Code

To approve student time sheets, supervisors need to have an approver code. If this is your first time approving timesheets, you will need to contact Tony Whack in Human Resources to set up your code.

To find your existing approver code:

  1. Open your WINGS Express account and proceed as you would when approving timesheets.
  2. Advance to the screen where you select the pay period.
  3. Below the header Department and Description, are items including a capital letter, a number, and your department name.
  4. The number is your approve code.
    For some this number will match your Organization Number and for others it will be a different and unique number, and some may be a combination of letters and numbers.

Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS)

Section 145.03, Ohio Revised Code, states that students who are employed with the school, college, or university where they are enrolled and regularly attending classes may choose to be exempt from the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System of Ohio by signing a Request For Optional Exemption As A Student (F-3) within the first month of employment and filing the Request with OPERS. An exemption will remain valid as long as the student continues to be employed by and attending the school which certifies the F-3; changing positions or departments within the institution does not affect the exemption.

The language found in Section 145.03 Ohio Revised Code, is intended to parallel the exemption for students found in the Internal Revenue Code for Social Security purposes. There should never be a situation in which a student exempted from OPERS membership would be subject to Social Security coverage. If a student who meets the student exemption requirement is working for a school, college or university, the student will contribute to neither OPERS nor to Social Security. If OPERS requirements are not met, the student must contribute to OPERS, not to Social Security.

To maintain OPERS exemption status during summer semester, student employees must be enrolled at least half-time (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate credit hours). Students may work during summer semester if they are not enrolled for classes; however, this option is at the discretion of the supervisor, as it requires contributions to OPERS by the department as well as by the student employee. Student employees who need to enroll in OPERS for summer semester should visit the Student Employment Office prior to the beginning of summer semester to complete the necessary forms.

A student may receive a refund from OPERS if:

  1. Three months have passed from the end of contributing service;
  2. The student has not returned to contributing service; and
  3. The student is not a member of State Teachers Retirement System or School Employees Retirement System.

Supervisors: How to Calculate Summer Student Wages, including OPERS

How to calculate, for each student, the amount of student wages needed:

  1. For students with half-time credit hours (a minimum of 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate):
    • rate of pay  X  number of hours  X  number of summer weeks
  2. For students with less than half-time credit hours (fewer than 6 undergraduate; 3 graduate):
    • rate of pay  X  number of hours  X  number of summer weeks X  14.67% OPERS benefit rate

Sick, Vacation, Holiday Pay, Unemployment Compensation

Student employees are not entitled to sick, vacation, or holiday pay. If a student works on a holiday, the student will receive the usual hourly rate for all hours worked.

According to Ohio Revised Code 4141, student employment is not considered employment for the purposes of unemployment compensation eligibility.

On the Job

Responsibilities of the Student Employee

  • To process all required hiring forms with Student Employment before beginning work.
  • To maintain enrollment necessary for student employment eligibility.
  • To notify the employer immediately of any adjustment in a Federal Work-Study (FWS) award.
  • To report to work promptly and perform assigned duties in a satisfactory manner.
  • To notify the employer as soon as possible of necessary work schedule changes. Projects and examinations sometimes necessitate adjustments.
  • To submit correct payroll information to the supervisor by the stated deadlines. Keep an accurate record of hours worked.
  • To notify Student Employment of any changes to taxes or direct deposit information.
  • To keep supervisor aware of changes to address and phone number.
  • To inform the supervisor of any plans to end employment. The customary notification time period is two weeks.
  • To maintain appropriate dress and personal hygiene.

Tips for Success on the Job

Responsibilities of the Supervisor

  • To develop accurate and useful job descriptions of all positions.
  • To provide students with all the necessary paperwork for payroll processing.
  • Ensure that students visits the Student Employment office for processing before they begin work.
  • To provide specific training in those areas listed on the job description.
  • To set up a work schedule, preferably in writing, for students.
  • To review all department policies with students, including discipline procedures.
  • To be available and encourage students to ask questions.
  • To see that time sheets are submitted according to deadlines established by the Pay Period Schedule.
  • To establish and review expected and appropriate dress, behavior, use of university and office resources, and standard operating procedures with students.

Break & Meal Times

A student scheduled to work a 4 hour to 6 hour shift should get a 15 minute paid break per shift.

A student scheduled to work more than 6 continuous hours but less than 7 continuous hours is entitled to one 15 minute paid break and a 30 minute unpaid meal break.

A student scheduled to work over 7 continuous hours is entitled to two 15 minute paid breaks and a 30 minute unpaid meal break.

Breaks are scheduled by the supervisor to maintain efficiency of the work unit. Breaks must be preceded and followed by work and should not be used to cover a student's late arrival or early departure. Time designated for rest periods cannot be accumulated. In some instances, by agreement, supervisors may permit student employees to combine their paid breaks with their unpaid lunch periods. This practice is acceptable as long as it does not interfere with efficiency or result in fatigue for individuals whose work is excessively strenuous, dirty, dusty, hot or cold. When these conditions exist, a break is essential.

When using Web time entry, students are required to enter a work beginning time and a work ending time (time in and time out). A student taking a paid break should not 'time out.' Students must 'time out' for any unpaid breaks in their work schedule.


The employing department is responsible for providing student employees with the safety training necessary to ensure that the employee is able to perform the job in a safe manner. Supervisors and student employees are responsible for referring to the University Policy and the web site for the department of Environmental Health and Safety, to become familiar with safety policies. All required personal protective equipment must be provided to the student employee by the employer.

University Policy 13301.3 -  Environmental Health and Safety: Responsibilities

Environmental Health and Safety: Training Questionnaire

Environmental Health & Safety: Training Courses and Instructions

University Policy 13275 - Reporting Injuries and Illnesses

Military Service

Student employees who are members of the Ohio National Guard, or any other reserve component of the United States Armed Forces, or who are involuntarily ordered to extended U.S. military service shall be granted leave without pay. The student employee is required to submit to their supervisor a copy of military orders or other statement in writing from the appropriate military authority in evidence of the call for training or duty. The student employee shall be returned to their former position upon re-registration as a student.

Jury Duty

A student employee may be summoned for jury duty or to serve as a witness. Time spent by a student employee for jury duty or serving as a witness will be treated as an excused absence without pay.

Drug and Alcohol Policy

Student Employee Evaluations

Student employees should be evaluated by the student's immediate supervisor at least once a year. The evaluation form should be signed by both the student and the supervisor. A generic evaluation form is provided by the Career Center; however, departments may design forms specific to their students' positions.

Student Employment Evaluation Form (PDF)

Student Resignation

When a student finds it necessary to resign or otherwise terminate employment, the student should notify the supervisor or department head as early as possible, but preferably no later than two weeks prior to the last date of work. An exit interview between the employee and the supervisor may prove helpful to both parties.

Unsatisfactory Job Performance & Termination

Termination for Unsatisfactory Job Performance

The supervisor is encouraged to provide frequent opportunities for meaningful feedback about the student employee's performance with ample opportunity for the student to correct any performance that falls below department standards.

In the case of a flagrant violation of university rules, such as but not limited to dishonesty, insubordination, rude or discourteous treatment of the public, or under other mitigating circumstances, the student may be terminated immediately.

In all cases of Termination for Unsatisfactory Job Performance, Student Employment must be immediately notified in writing.

This can be accomplished in one of two ways:

  1. Complete a Student Employment Termination Notice (PDF)
  2. Send email to with the student's name, UID, organization and fund codes, and effective termination date.
Automatic Termination

All student employees are automatically terminated at the end of Spring semester. Refer to "Rehire Process & Student Eligibility" section for more information.

Grievance Procedures

When there is a disagreement between a supervisor and a student employee concerning employment, prompt and judicious action is necessary. Accordingly, the time limits outlined below for the processing of grievances are extremely important. The grievance procedure provides for a three-step plan utilizing established administrative levels. All university affirmative action policies and procedures are applicable.

Informal Meeting

The grievance is handled informally between the student employee and the supervisor. A meeting of both parties should be arranged to discuss the problem.

Appeal in Writing

If not resolved in Step 1, the dissatisfied party may appeal the decision to the administrative head of the employer. The grievance must be put in writing. The administrative head will investigate the allegations and will answer the dissatisfied party in writing within ten working days of receipt of the grievance.

Grievance Committee Hearing

If the grievance is not resolved in Step 2, a formal written request for a Grievance Committee hearing should be made to the Student Employment Manager indicating why the written answer of the administrative head was unsatisfactory.

Within ten working days of receipt of the written grievance, the Student Employment Manager will schedule a meeting of the Grievance Committee. The Grievance Committee will consist of three members: two members will be chosen by the dissatisfied party from a list of volunteers from the university community and the third member, a moderator, will be the Student Employment Manager or their representative.

The Grievance Committee will investigate the allegations and make its recommendation, in writing, to the Student Employment Manager. A majority decision by the Grievance Committee will constitute the recommendation of the Grievance Committee to the Student Employment Manager.

The Director of the Career Center, in cooperation with the Student Employment Manager, will render a final decision of the grievance, in writing, to the dissatisfied party. This decision will be made within ten working days of receipt of the recommendation of the Grievance Committee.

Verification of Employment

Requests for employment verification must include a signed form authorizing the release of the student’s information.

There are two ways to submit a signed form authorizing release of information to Student Employment:

  1. Submit an employment verification form provided by the requesting agency or organization.
  2. If you do not have an agency form, or if your request needs to be answered on Career Center letterhead, complete and submit our Student Employment Release of Information for Employment Verification form.
  3. Employment verifications are processed on Thursdays.

Send employment verification requests to

Student Employment Forms and Documents

Adobe Reader Download

Standard Student Employment Application Form

The Student Employment Application Form is optimized for use in Chrome and Internet Explorer.

The Student Employment Job Application is designed to be downloaded, filled in, and saved to your computer, using Adobe® Acrobat® Reader®

Student Employment Application Form

Student Employment Hiring Packet Instructions

Follow general instructions and instructions for each form:

Student Employment Hiring Packet Instructions

Forms for First Time Student Employees

A student who has not worked previously in a student employment position must complete all of the forms in this section.

The authorized university representative who completes section II of the I-9 form must see original qualifying documents.  Be prepared to present your original documentation.

Additional Forms for International Students Working for the First Time

An international student who has not previously worked in a student employment position must complete all forms in this section, in addition to Forms for First Time Student Employees.

An international student must also have a Social Security Card or receipt of application for the Social Security Card, and a copy of their email from University Center for International Education verifying their Work Authorization.

An international student must also bring his or her Visa and original Passport, form I-94, and form I-20 to Student Employment Processing.

An international student who has not worked for an entire semester in a student employment position must also submit to Student Employment a copy of the email, from University Center for International Education, verifying their Work Authorization.

Review additional employment information for international students on the University Center for International Education website.

Forms for Students Previously Employed in a Student Employment Job

A student that has worked previously in any student employment position must complete and submit only the forms in this section.

Supervisor Forms: Position Description, Eval, Request Action, Termination

Questions? Contact the Career Center, (937) 775-2556 or