The university maintains a control system for university keys and locks. The purpose of the system is to provide maximum security in the buildings and for secured areas within the university.
Only personnel in the department of Physical Plant have the authority to install locks or locking devices on university facilities.
Only personnel in the department of Physical Plant have the authority to cut and issue keys for university facilities. Duplication of keys is strictly prohibited.
To request a key:
The issuing department must prepare a Key Request Form (via PAWS), being sure to include the following information:
- All key requests must be presented to the Customer Service Center, 065 Allyn Hall.
- If the key request document is properly authorized, the Customer Service Center will have the key(s) produced. The Customer Service Center will call you when your key is ready for pick-up, usually within three working days of the request.
- If a key deposit is required, the Customer Service Center prepares a key deposit form indicating the deposit amount based on the number of keys required.
- The requestor must present the key deposit form to the Bursar (E236, Student Union) and pay the specified deposit.
- The Bursar stamps the form and attaches a receipt to the form.
- The requester returns to the Customer Service Center with personal identification to obtain the keys.
- The Customer Service Center retains the key deposit form and the receipt for deposit refund.
See Wright Way Policy #3401 for information regarding key deposits and key authority.
Note: All graduate assistants, students, and part-time faculty and staff members must pay a personal deposit at the Office of the Bursar for each key requested before the key request is submitted. No deposits are required for desk, file cabinet, or storage cabinet keys. A valid receipt must accompany the original key request form. This deposit is refunded when the key is returned to the Customer Service Center. The Customer Service Center will issue a return receipt to be presented at the Bursar's Office for a deposit refund.