Student Handbook Sub Banner
University Center for International Education
The University Center for International Education (UCIE) acts as a catalyst for international education at Wright State University and facilitates an environment where students, faculty, and staff have increased opportunities to gain international understanding through learning and experience.
Visit the UCIE website for more information.
Exchange & Study Abroad Program
Ambassador programs allow students to take a WSU class with a WSU professor and students in an international setting. Many 2-4 week long programs are offered throughout the summer semester each year and are available for specific areas of study and for general education requirements.
Students participating on Ambassador Programs pay a program fee (which typically includes accommodation, transportation in country, international health and accident insurance, some meals, and cultural activities), tuition for a 3-credit hour class, airfare, passport application fees, and some meals.
Exchange programs allow students to travel to WSU partner institutions. Many programs are taught in English and there are many foreign language programs to choose from as well. Students have the option of studying abroad in the summer, for a semester, or a full year. We have exchange agreements with universities in the following countries: Brazil, Chile, China, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Ireland, India, Japan, Netherlands, Poland, South Korea, Sweden, Taiwan, and Tanzania.
Third Party Programs
Third party provider programs are programs offered by partner organizations and allow students to study for a summer, semester, or an academic year. Through this option students can study on six continents in over 40 countries and in most cases without prior language experience. These programs are open to all majors, and some offer internships as well.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
The cost of study abroad programs varies and will depend on the type and location of the program. With Wright State approved programs, financial aid and scholarships can be applied toward the cost. For Ambassador and Exchange programs, students pay normal WSU tuition for the program. For Third Party programs, WSU tuition is waived and students pay only the study abroad program fees. Financial Aid Advisors are available to discuss your options, and Education Abroad Advisors can assist you in finding and applying for scholarships.
Japan Co-Op Teaching Program
Every six months, WSU sends one or two students to teach at our sister institutions in Okayama, Japan. The paid position lasts six months. Students depart in late March and late August.
Services for International Students & Research Scholars
- Special Orientation Program for international students and exchange visitors
- International student support regarding health insurance, transportation, academic success, and on and off-campus housing referral and assistance
- Sponsored student support
- International student tax workshops
- Airport Pickup Services for new incoming international students
- Coordinating hosting opportunities with WSU faculty, staff, and students for new international students
- Processing of admissions applications for graduate and undergraduate international students
- Recruitment of new international students including the administration of summer camps for potential new international students
- Advising on nonimmigrant visa status compliance for visiting professors and researchers (scholars) and international students including:
- Travel authorization for students who will be returning to their home country
- International Student SEVIS registration
- Processing Reduced Course load requests
- Students considering the pursuit of further study at WSU and other U.S. institutions
- Work authorization for on-campus student employment
- Authorization and management of Circular Practical Training (CPT) and Optical Practical Training (OPT)
- Intercultural programs and activities, such as:
- International Friendship Affair
- Weekly "Coffee Hour Programs"
- Liaison with international student organizations
- Brown Bag Seminars
- Faculty and Staff development