Applying for Benefits
- Go to http://gibill.va.gov
- Click on the box titled "Apply for Benefits."
- On the next screen, select the "Launch VONAPP and apply for benefits" link.
- Read through the information provided such as "What is VONAPP," "Frequently Asked Questions," and any other button that will help you fill out your VONAPP application.
- Click the button at the top of the page titled "Start VONAPP."
- See chart below for which form to fill out:
Application Forms for Educational Benefits
Benefit Chapter Number Application Form Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty Ch. 30 22-1990 Vocational Rehabilitation Ch. 31 28-1900 Post 9/11 Veteran Ch. 33 22-1990 Post 9/11 Transfer of Entitlement Ch. 33 22-1990E Survivors and Dependents Assistance Ch. 35 22-5490 Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve 1606 22-1990 Reserve Education Assistance Program 1607 22-1990
If you have received educational benefits previously, you do not need to file the VONAPP application again. You will, however, need to fill out a Change of Place of Training form. For chapters 30, 1606, 1607, and Post 9/11, this is the 22-1995 form or the 22-5495 form if you are using Chapter 35 benefits.
Factors to Consider
- If you are eligible for a college fund under other GI Bill programs, you will continue to receive your college fund payments. Rather than receiving them monthly, you will be paid a lump sum payment each term that you are enrolled.
- If you participated in the $600 buy-up under the Montgomery GI Bill or REAP you will not receive that additional benefit under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
- Ohio National Guard Scholarship Program (ONGSP) is non-refundable to the student. For example, those eligible for 60 percent of the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit, ONGSP will pay the remaining 40 percent tuition balance.
- If you have exhausted all 36 months of Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Chapter 30) benefits, you may qualify for an additional 12 months of benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33).
- If you are currently using and have not exhausted education benefits under Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Chapter 30), you can set up an appointment with our office to discuss switching to Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33).