The cohort effect of linking classes together works wonders in terms of helping students make friends quickly and feel comfortable on campus. The fact that your students are in the same classes together gives you a powerful opportunity to strengthen their academic experience also. Unleash the hidden potential in your learning community by collaborating with the faculty teaching your linked classes!
Interested in Teaching?
Learning Communities enroll about 75% of entering Direct From High School first year students into cohort groups for their fall term at Wright State. More than 20,000 WSU students have participated in Learning Communities since 1999.
Fun Fast Facts
Faculty members interested in Learning Communities, see some of the following fun fast facts:
- Wright State’s Learning Communities students earn higher grades than students who do not participate in LCs.
- Each fall, 70-80% of incoming freshmen participate in LCs at Wright State.
- Since the year 2000, Wright State has been home to over 600 learning communities.
- The annual Mindset List by Beloit College
- Since 2000, over 13,000 Wright State's students have participated in LCs.
- The four goals of the learning communities program are to help students: adjust to college, achieve academic success, develop and grow personally, and explore career development.
Award Winning Faculty
Faculty Excellence in Learning Communities
Below is a list of Wright State University faculty who have been recognized for their excellent commitment to learning communities. They can attest to the positive impact LCs have had on interactions with students, student performance, and course evaluations. National research shows benefits such as increased retention and engagement for the students and an increase in academic and interpersonal collaboration for the faculty.
Pascale Adabie, Devon Berry, Jane Blakelock, Susan Carrafiello, Mary Chace, Jason Deibel, December Green, Gaetano Guzzo, Kirsten Halling, Carol Herringer, Jeannette Horwitz, Dan Krane, Laura Luehrmann, Caroline Myers, Doug Petkie, Bobby Rubin, Cathy Sayer, Sharon Tjaden-Glass, Sarah Twill, Kelli Zaytoun
- Press release from Fall 2014 15th Year Anniversary Elsie Awards
- Press release from Fall 2013 Elsie Awards
- Press release from Fall 2012 Elsie Awards
- View photos of the Elsie Awards for Fall 2011 (PDF)
- View Peer Instructor photos from the 2010 Elsie Awards (PDF)
- View Staff Instructor photos from the 2010 Elsie Awards (PDF)
Faculty are invited to contact email@example.com or call 775-5759 for more information about Learning Communities at Wright State University.
Thanks in advance for whatever level of cooperation with the LC seminar instructors you are comfortable offering. Know that we work to support you by enhancing our new students’ academic success!