Undergraduate Curriculum and Academic Policy Committee
Minutes of Meeting
December 5, 2012
Matt Rizki (CECS), Bev Schieltz (CoSM), Sherrill Smith (CoNH), Richard Mercer (CoSM), Sarah Twill (CoLA), Stephanie Davis (CEHS), Tom Sav (RSCOB), Sean Pollack (CoLA), Joe Law(Assoc. Provost), Matt Harman (Student Government, Non-voting), Jennifer Barbadora (Student Government, Non-voting)
Marian Brainerd (Registrar), Mary Holland (Assoc. Registrar), Travis Doom (CECS), Herb Dregalla (Assoc. Provost), Richard Bullock (CoLA), Barbara Bullock (Assist. VP, Institutional Research), Thomas Sudkamp (Provost)
1) The committee approved the minutes of the November 14, 2012 meeting
2) Course and Program Inventory Requests
a) UCAPC reviewed the following course inventory requests:
Approved as submitted:
ACC 4420, ATH 3800, BIO 4000, EE 4620, MGT 4750, MIS 3450, MIS 3650
With departmental consent, approved modified versions of the following courses:
EE 4210, MKT 4300
With departmental consent, approved a modified version of the following course:
b) UCAPC reviewed and approved the following program inventory requests:
Approved as submitted:
With departmental consent, approved a modified version of the following program:
3) UCAPC reviewed and approved the direct admissions criteria for the College of Liberal Arts (CoLA).
4) The Registrar’s Office provided a list of cross-listed undergraduate courses as requested by UCAPC in preparation for formulating an “ownership policy” for cross-listed courses. The committee noted a number of irregularities in the list. The Registrar’s Office also provided a list or courses that are currently schedule in the same room with the same instructor, but not formally cross-listed. The Chair of UCAPC agreed to send this information to the departments to ask for clarification. (approved cross listed courses, courses not cross listed but scheduled in same place)
5) The committee briefly reviewed the draft definitions of various programmatic units provided by Assoc. Provost Dregalla.
6) Professor Rich Bullock, Chair of the Ad Hoc Admission Committee, presented a revised proposal for university admissions criteria with supporting statistical data. The proposal recommends levels of ACT English and Math scores of 18 and 22 respectively with a high school GPA of 2.0 for regular admission. The proposal includes an alternative admission criteria with an ACT English score of 12 or above and Math score of 14 or above to allow less prepared students to enter Wright State, but would require these students to take additional course work or participate in preparatory programs. These two admission criteria cover approximately 93% for the students currently admitted to the university. Students with lower ACT scores would be directed to special programs or community college. The CEHS representative raised a question about how these standards apply to non-traditional students whose GPA may no longer be current. Another member of the committee asked about non-degree students. After some discussion, UCAPC asked Dr. Bullock to revise the proposal to address these special groups of students.
7) The committee was unable to discuss the Complete College Ohio Final Report and OBR Guidelines for Academic Review, but Provost Sudkamp suggested that the committee look carefully at the Complete College Ohio Final Report’s proposed requirement to limit undergraduate degrees to 120 credit hours and also the proposed requirement to give credit for prior learning experience.