On this page:
The Wright Fellows Program is aimed at attracting high-quality, underrepresented minority graduate students. The fellowship includes free tuition for three semesters, typically starting in Fall Semester, and a stipend of $13,000. You are not expected to provide a service for the award, but must register for six credit hours per semester (summer excepted). Each graduate program may nominate only one student for this award.
Each of Wright State’s colleges has a limited number of competitive scholarships to award each year.
Who is eligible? New and current Wright State graduate students who maintain a 3.0 graduate GPA.
What are the timelines? Graduate tuition scholarships are awarded on an ongoing basis for each semester.
What is the application process? Each program has its own process for awarding these scholarships. Contact your program directly for details.
Who is eligible for this scholarship?
If you are employed at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base as a civilian or active duty military personnel, or as an Air Force Reservist who is an active participant in a WPAFB unit, or you are a spouse or dependent, you are eligible to apply for this scholarship. Contractors are not eiligible for this scholarship. This non-refundable scholarship provides up to $6,000 of tuition support per year ($2,000 per semester) for qualified WPAFB employees or their family members who are enrolled full time in a graduate program at Wright State. One scholarship is available per qualifying family and may be transferred to a spouse or dependent child. A dependent is a daughter, son, stepdaughter, or stepson of the employee, as defined in Internal Revenue Code Section 152, who is eligible to be claimed as a dependent on the employee’s federal income tax return.
WPAFB employees whose official duties do not substantially affect the interests of Wright State University (as determined by appropriate WPAFB authorities) may be authorized to receive the offered scholarships. Wright State University employees and their spouses or dependents who are eligible for the tuition remission are not also eligible for this scholarship.
What programs can I take?
You can apply this scholarship to graduate certificates, licensure and endorsement programs, master’s degrees, and specialist degrees, as well as Ph.D. and Ed.D. degrees, but not to M.D. or Psy.D. programs. WPAFB scholarships are awarded as long as funds are available. This scholarship can be used for any graduate program, whether that program is taught through face-to-face courses, online courses, or a combination of both.
To receive the scholarship, you must:
- Be accepted into a graduate program at Wright State University. An application fee may apply.
- Complete the online Wright State WPAFB scholarship application form. There is no fee to apply for the scholarship.
- Provide verification of employment status (either the student's own or a spouse/parent’s) at WPAFB per the guidelines below for civilians and military personnel. For those using a Common Access Card (CAC) for verification, that document must be presented in person at the Wright State Graduate School (E344 Student Union). Scanned, faxed, or photocopied images of the CAC card will not be accepted.
- For current civilian employees: provide proof of your CAC or an Employment Verification document from your MyBiz account. If sponsoring a family member, provide the above information for the sponsor and a statement of the sponsor's relationship to the student.
- For active duty military personnel: provide proof of your CAC or present a Proof of Service letter. If sponsoring a family member, provide a Dependent Verification document.
- For actively participating reservist personnel: provide written notification from the commander of the unit (on official letterhead or from a verified email account). This letter must confirm that the reservist is an active participant in that unit and indicate the duration of duty the reservist will be serving. If sponsoring a family member, provide the above information for the sponsor and a statement of the sponsor's relationship to the student.
We will inform students of the scholarship award status after receiving the application form and verification of employment document.
Completed applications (including both the completed online form and submitted verification of employment) for the current semester are due on the by 5 p.m. on Friday of the second week of the semester. Any applications received after this time will be processed for the next semester.
To renew this scholarship automatically, you must:
- Maintain a 3.0 or higher GPA.
- Maintain six or more graduate credit hours per semester.
- Maintaining satisfactory progress toward a qualifying credential as determined by a program adviser
You can renew the scholarship for up to six semesters for master’s students or 10 semesters for doctoral students. If you receive the scholarship, but drop classes after the 100 percent refund date, that semester will still count toward the total number of eligible semesters. Special exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis if you need to drop classes late due to an unforeseen deployment.
If you have fewer than six credit hours remaining to complete you program, you may request permission to enroll for fewer than six hours in your final semester. Partial scholarships are limited to $1,000 for three to five hours of graduate credit for one semester. To receive this exception, you must:
- Be registered to graduate in the semester you want the waiver if you are a degree-seeking student.
- Submit a memo from the program stating that the listed semester is the final or graduating semester
If you have not enrolled in classes for three or more consecutive semesters, you will need to reapply for both admission to your program and for the scholarship.
Once you are admitted to your graduate program, work with the Veteran and Military Center (VMC) to apply your GI Bill, tuition assistance, or other military benefits to your account. The WPAFB Scholarship is applied after those benefits up to the remainder of your tuition amount.
Once you have started a graduate program under this scholarship, you must maintain your eligibility for the scholarship until you have either completed that program or reached the end of your eligibility period, even if you transferred away from WPAFB or separated from the military.
For information regarding additional scholarships and fellowships, visit RaiderConnect.