• Flag Icons

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q: What is the role of International SOS?

    A: International SOS provides you with worldwide quality health care and emergency assistance services 24 hours a day designed to supplement and integrate with Wright State University's services, procedures and policies. You should always attempt to contact Wright State and/or your program's on-site emergency contacts first, who will assist you. If they are not available, then proceed to contact International SOS.

    Q: How can International SOS help?

    A: International SOS provides you and your parents with peace of mind. One phone call connects you to the International SOS network of multilingual specialists for immediate help in an emergency. International SOS services are designed to help you with medical, personal, travel, security information and legal referrals when away from home. Call International SOS at any time to speak with a physician or security specialist about simple or critical matters.

    Q: How does it work?

    A: You will be provided with an International SOS membership card. Carry the International SOS membership card with you at all times. It includes the telephone numbers of the three major worldwide International SOS Alarm Centers. In the event of an emergency, call one of the emergency phone numbers listed on the card.

    Q: What do I need to do to use the program?

    A: In order to utilize any of the medical or travel services listed under contract, call any SOS Alarm Center from anywhere in the world by calling directly, calling collect or calling the toll-free number. To ensure a prompt response when calling, you should be prepared to provide the following:

        • Your name, location, age, sex, and nationality
        • The program with which you are associated: Wright State off-campus program in _______.
        • Your International SOS membership number: (contact UCIE for this number)
        • The telephone number from which you are calling (in case you are disconnected)
        • Your relationship to the member (if the person calling is not you.)
        • Name, location, and telephone number of the hospital or clinic (when applicable)
        • Name, location, and telephone number for the treating doctor, and where the doctor can be reached (when applicable)

    Q: What if I have pre-trip questions about my travel destination or questions about the current status in that location?

    A: In addition to calling the Alarm Center for any pre-trip questions you may have, you can access Country and Security Guides from this website: http://www.internationalsos.com. Use your membership number, (contact UCIE for this number), as your member login. In addition to the information covered at the pre-departure sessions and on-site by your program, the SOS comprehensive guides provide both medical, security and general travel advice, such as information on the standard of health care, how to pay for medical care, the availability of medications, safety of the blood supply, embassy/visa information, dialing code information, cultural etiquette and financial and voltage/plug information.

    Q: Do I need to activate my membership?

    A: No, your membership is already active. Simply carry the card at all times while traveling. Whenever you need service, contact one of the emergency phone numbers listed on the back of the card. You do not need to report specific trip dates to International SOS each time you travel. However, you can create a personal on-line account with SOS into which you can save medical, family and emergency information. Unless you input your information into an account, it will not be available for staff. Medical and personal information can only be accessed by an SOS doctor.

    Q: What are Email Alerts?

    A: You have the option to sign up for Email Alerts. You can choose to sign up for medical and/or security alerts by logging on and signing up. Medical alerts are issued when there is an unusual health risk that, in the opinion of the SOS Medical staff, may negatively impact travelers or expatriates visiting a country. Security alerts are issued when SOS Security professionals have identified a security risk in a specific country.

    Q: What if I need a doctor?

    A: You should first activate the on-site emergency support network for your location. If you are traveling, or in a situation where you cannot contact the on-site program staff or Wright State, you should then contact SOS. The International SOS Alarm Centers are listed on the back of your card. Call the International SOS Alarm Center that is nearest to you for a referral to a doctor who speaks your language.

    Q: What if I need a lawyer while overseas?

    A: Call the nearest International SOS Alarm Center for legal referrals. If you are in a situation where you require legal assistance, your off-campus program director should be informed of this immediately.

    Q: What if I need prescription medication?

    A: If you require a prescription that a local physician cannot obtain, or you need to replace lost, stolen or depleted medication, International SOS will, when permissible by local law, send the needed medication to you. (Additional Fees for the Medication Apply)

    Q: What if I am hospitalized?

    A: In most cases, Wright State staff should be able to assist you via our on-call emergency staff. However, if you are in a situation or location where you cannot reach the program director, other on-site staff or Wright State, call the nearest International SOS Alarm Center. International SOS will immediately take steps to evaluate the care you are receiving and determine what actions must be taken to ensure your safe and speedy recovery. International SOS will notify Wright State immediately if you have not already done so.

    Q: What if local medical facilities are not adequate for my specific requirements?

    A: If you are hospitalized in an area where adequate medical facilities are not available, International SOS will obtain approval from Wright State to evacuate you to a medical facility capable of providing the required care. A physician supervises evacuations, and when necessary, a medical specialist or nurse will accompany you during the evacuation. An air ambulance will be used when required.

    Q: What happens when I am released from the hospital and still need help?

    A: When your condition is stabilized and International SOS has determined that it is medically advisable to bring you home or to a facility near your permanent residence, International SOS will again obtain approval from Wright State and arrange the repatriation under medical supervision.

    Q: Will International SOS pay my medical bills?

    A: After a line of credit is opened in your name, International SOS will guarantee and pay all costs associated with your medical care. You are responsible for the costs of medical care. This is why we require you to have health insurance coverage that will cover you while abroad. International SOS will also medically monitor and evaluate your condition and ongoing medical expenses during your hospitalization. In situations where medical care is critical, by activating SOS you authorize medical care as necessary, and acknowledge that you will be billed for such care.

    Q: How can International SOS assist in the event of death?

    A: International SOS will render all assistance possible to the College to obtain clearances and arrange transportation for the return of mortal remains. In such an event, the College will be the point of contact for the family in this situation.

    Q: What should I do in the event of a security emergency?

    A: Call an alarm center listed on the back of your membership card, and a security specialist will assist you.

    Q: What is security evacuation assistance and coordination?

    A: The SOS Security Division will assist Wright State in the event of threatening situations such as civil and/or political unrest, insurrections, revolution or similar situations by providing information, guidance and resources in the event personal safety and security can no longer be assured.

    Q: How do I access up-to-the-minute information about security alerts, warnings and the latest situations?

    A: You can visit the website: http://www.internationalsos.com/

  • Ebola Information

    Wright State University is closely monitoring the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) information on the Ebola virus outbreak in five countries in West Africa: Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. There is no significant risk to the United States or Wright State.

    Ebola, also known as Ebola virus disease, is a rare and deadly disease caused by infection by one of the Ebola virus strains (Zaire, Sudan, Bundibugyo, or Tai Forest virus). For information about the disease, including signs and symptoms, transmission, and risk of exposure, see the CDC Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Page at http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/.

    The CDC has issued warnings to avoid non-essential travel to Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone because of the worsening public health situation in those countries. Moreover, enhanced precautions are recommended for travel to Nigeria and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

    The CDC recommends travelers returning from areas with Ebola cases monitor their health for 21 days. Those traveling to or from the region should check their temperature once daily and report any symptoms, including fever, headache, joint/muscle aches, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain, or lack of appetite.

    In the event of onset of a fever of 100 degrees or higher, or any of the symptoms listed above, DO NOT REPORT TO WORK OR SCHOOL. Call your physician or Wright State Student Health Services.

    To read the CDC's advice for colleges, universities, and students about Ebola visit http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/advice-for-colleges-universities-and-students-about-ebola-in-west-africa

  • International Incident Plan

    Incident Annex 6 International Incident Plan: This annex provides guidance and planning considerations for responding to incidents involving sanctioned WSU Personnel studying, traveling, or working internationally. Incidents can include, but are not limited to medical issues, vehicular accidents, natural disasters, public health outbreaks, legal entanglements, civil unrest, acts of violence, and acts of terrorism. The primary purpose of this plan is to provide risk reduction support through coordination of effort with affected WSU Personnel, local in-country representatives, and contracted international service providers. Services range from telephone consultation to emergency evacuation.

    PDF View the plan.

    • Follow us on Facebook
    • Follow us on Twitter
    • Follow us on GooglePlus
    • Follow us on LinkedIn
    • Follow us on YouTube
    • Follow us on Instagram
    • Follow us on Pinterest
    • Follow us on Vine
    • Follow us on RenRen
    • Follow us on YouKu
    • Follow us on Weibo
    • Contact Us On QQ
    • Find us on Mezun
    • Follow us on Flickr
    • Follow us on SmugMug
    • Contact us via E-mail

    Contact information

    You can contact us by using the information below.

    • Wright State University
      University Center for International Education
      E190 Student Union
      3640 Colonel Glenn Hwy.
      Dayton, OH 45435-0001
    • Phone: 937-775-5745
    • Fax: 937-775-5776
    • Email: askucie@wright.edu
    • Hours: 8:30 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.

    Copyright Information © 2015 | Accessibility Information
    Last updated: Thu. Jul-16-15, 14:26
    Please send comments to: uciewebmaster@wright.edu

    Wright State University