On this page:
2016-2017 Student Blanket Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan
Wright State University offers student health insurance through United Health Care Student Resources for your health care needs. A preliminary brochure with the schedule of benefits and coverage details can be accessed through this link.
Wright State University assesses the student health insurance premium for domestic students on a per term basis. The premium is added to your current account balance if you are registered for at least six (6) credit hours unless you decline coverage. If you wish to decline coverage, go to Wings Express, select Student and Financial Aid, Registration and Required Acknowledgement. Please select "No" if you want to decline coverage. The default answer is "Yes".
If you fall below the required 6 credit hours during the open enrollment period of each semester, the insurance charge will be removed from your account, and any premiums paid will be refunded to you. You must be actively attending classes for the six (6) credit hours for at least the first 31 days for which coverage is purchased to be eligible for student health insurance.
Students not enrolled during the summer semester may purchase continuing health insurance provided they had coverage in the spring semester and are registerd for the upcoming fall semester. The student must contact Student Health Services in able to purchase. In order to maintain continous coverage without a lapse, it is important to purchase the summer coverage.
Student health insurance must be declined each semester by the third Friday of the term, or the student will be responsible for payment even if they have other coverage. If you determine you will need insurance after you have declined, return to the Required Acknowledgement page and indicate you want to purchase coverage by the third Friday of the term.
Dental and Vision coverage is a separate policy that can be purchased directly with UnitedHealthcare Student Resources during the fall open enrollment period only. For information please call 866.782.4768.
- Covered services rendered at Student Health Services are payable at 100% of covered medical expenses.
- Copays and deductibles are waived when seen at Student Health Services.
- United Healthcare Student Resources requires a referral from Student Health Services any time treatment is sought outside of SHS during their normal business hours except in an emergency situation. This applies to urgent care centers, Wright State Physicians and your primary care providers. See page 2 of current policy for the referral exclusions.
This Plan provides benefits for a covered injury or Sickness ("Loss") which occurs during your term of coverage under this Plan. The expenses for the Loss must also be incurred during your term of coverage under this Plan.
The Plan does not pay for expenses payable by any other insurance or pre-payment plan.
To provide maximum benefits at low cost, the Plan covers hospital care, office visits for sickness and injury, and surgery except where otherwise noted. Elective surgery is not covered. Participation in all athletic activities, other than interscholastic or intercollegiate sports, is covered.
International students will be granted an exemption only if they have U.S. based insurance coverage through the employer of a spouse or parent. This waiver must be obtained from the University Center for International Education office, 190E Student Union.
Please refer to United Health Care Student Resources for complete coverage details.
For commonly asked questions concerning the Wright State University Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan, please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions. If you still have questions concerning the coverage or need assistance, please contact Robert Fox in the Student Insurance Office at (937) 775-2331. The Student Insurance Office is located in 051 Student Union and the walk-in hours are Monday-Friday from 1:00-4:30 p.m.
|Semester||Fall 2016||Spring 2017||Summer 2016|
|Coverage Period||8/29/16 - 1/8/2017||1/9/17 - 5/7/17||5/9/16 - 8/28/16|
|Deadline to Decline Insurance||September 16, 2016||January 27, 2017||May 24, 2016|
On-Campus medical treatment has never been more convenient.
WSU Student Health Services is proud to announce a full line-up of major medical insurance is now accepted, such as Anthem, Medical Mutual and Multi-Plan!
Student Health Services has been working hard to develop the ability to deliver quality healthcare and wellness services to treat more WSU students. The services provided by your on-campus Nurse Practitioner and Physician are comparable to those offered at a family practice setting, and all our professionals are certified, licensed, or registered in their respective fields.
Student Health Insurance Options
Wright State University Student Health Insurance is a voluntary health insurance program. Enrollment in the program is completed at the time of class registration. Commuter students and WSU residential students have the option to participate in the plan if enrolled in 6 credit hours or more. If a commuter or residential student opts to decline enrollment the student declines and continues with the registration process.
International students (F1/J1 visa status) do not have the option to decline the WSU health insurance program during the registration process. Following registration international students who have a financial guarantees through their country are required to obtain a waiver through UCIE who is authorized to remove the insurance charge.
- ACCEPT WSU health insurance; continue registration.
- DECLINE WSU health insurance, continue registration without WAIVER.
- ACCEPT WSU health insurance, continue registration.
- DECLINE WSU health insurance, continue registraton, but produces required insurance WAIVER at move-in.
- DECLINE WSU health insurance, continue registration.
- Financial Guarantee Agreement: Gov't pays for some students' private health insurance; continue registration. UCIE processes WAIVER.
- Financial Guarantee Agreement: Gov't pays for some students' WSU health insurance; ACCEPT WSU health insurance; continue registraton. May not DECLINE WSU health insurance.
- All International Students (non-govt. sponsored) must ACCEPT WSU health insurance; continue registration. May not DECLINE health insurance. May NOT purchase private insurance, no WAIVER accepted.