On this page:
Incoming Wright State University students are eligible to compete for Competitive Honors/Trustees Scholarships renewable for four years. These awards are for students attending the Dayton Campus. Recipients of the Competitive Honors/Trustees Scholarships must participate in the University Honors Program and complete the requirements for graduation as a University Honors Scholar.
Please visit the First Year Scholarship website for eligibility criteria on Competitive Honors/Trustees Scholarships.
Wright State University Online Scholarship Application
To apply for the Competitive Honors/Trustees Scholarships, you must complete the online scholarship application.
Additional Essay Requirement for the Online Scholarship Application
This essay is in addition to the general essay required by the online scholarship application. Write a brief (500-600 word) essay on one of the following topics in order to be considered for the Competitive Honors/Trustees Scholarship:
- Describe a time when you were involved in a leadership role that made a difference in your community or school.
- Discuss a unique accomplishment that sets you apart.
- What contemporary problem or dilemma would you like to solve? How would you solve it?
Applicants who do not meet the eligibility requirements will not be considered. Eligible applicants who are not selected for a Trustees Scholarship will automatically be considered for one of the remaining Competitive Honors Scholarships. Some finalists may be invited to campus for an interview with the selection committee in March. Recipients of Competitive Honors/Trustees Scholarships will be notified of award decisions in April. All Competitive Honors/Trustee Scholarships are awarded as funds are available.
The University Honors Program also awards scholarships to continuing Honors students on a competitive basis, including:
- Frank I. Salsburg Memorial Scholarship
- Distinguished Senior Scholarships
- Continuing Student Scholarships
- Study Abroad Scholarships
- Research Grants
All continuing student scholarships are awarded as funds are available.
Honors students apply for the Continuing Honors Scholarships by completing the university's online scholarship application.
Scholarships for Transfer Honors Students
Students who transfer to Wright State may be eligible for a renewable transfer scholarship. Please visit the Transfer Scholarships website for additional information.
Honors Study Abroad Scholarship
The University Honors Program has a small fund to assist Honors students with study abroad. To be eligible, Honors students must be registered for credit through Wright State University. Preference will be given to Honors students who are actively participating in the program. Study abroad awards typically range from $300 to $1,500.
Honors Research Scholarship
The University Honors Program provides funds to aid in the completion of approved Departmental Honors Research experiences. Maximum awards are $400. This scholarship does not cover travel expenses or the purchase of durable equipment.
Recipients are expected to:
- Complete all requirements for graduation as a University Honors Scholar.
- Participate in the University Honors Program while the award is in effect.
- Register as a full-time student.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Earn at least 30 credit hours each academic year (fall/spring).
- Meet regularly with the associate director of the University Honors Program to ensure satisfactory progress toward earning the University Honors Scholar degree designation. Satisfactory progress includes appropriate completion of honors coursework and written evidence of work on the departmental honors project.
Recipients must complete the lower-level honors courses in a timely fashion. Although individual variations may occur, usually students will be expected to complete at least three Honors courses during the freshman year and three the sophomore year. The UH 4000 seminar is typically completed during the junior or senior year.
At the end of the junior year, scholarship recipients must present written evidence of work on the Departmental Honors Research experience in the major before scholarship funds are released for the senior year.
Students who fail to comply with any of the above requirements will not receive Competitive Honors Scholarship funds.
For Continuing Honors Scholarships
Consult the Honors Student Handbook for scholarship obligations.