WSU STAFF COUNCIL SUMMARY
1. The Staff Council played a central role, from inception to completion, in the—
- Staff Pioneers Project that culminated in the April 21, 2009 unveiling of a recognition plaque honoring staff members who served Wright State between 1964 and 1967.
- Voluntary Short Term Disability Insurance that was made available to all WSU employees in late 2008.
2. The Council monitored results of its Staff Survey and, largely through its Human Resources Committee,
was instrumental in the development and implementation of—
- HR website developments, including:
- Current News and Events listings on the home page
- A link to the Staff Liaison
- FAQs regarding issues of interest to individual employees
- A “How R we doing?” online survey will be available this summer about HR service to employees.
- A 3-workday response time “pledge” for HR
3. The Council discussed and made recommendations regarding—
- faculty, staff, and announce list serves,
- changes to 403b accounts,
- Voluntary FTE Reduction Program,
- university budget issues,
- High Deductible Health Plan (implemented January 2009),
- Vacation and Sick Leave policies (approved by the President’s Cabinet),
- university sponsorship of special deals from vendors,
- organizational charts for WSU offices, and
- the role of the Staff Liaison (defined and publicized).
4. The Council implemented changes to its procedures by naming the Staff Liaison as Convener of Council
meetings, by adding a Lake Campus representative, and by ensuring the inclusion of an unclassified-hourly
staff member on the Council.
Also, the Human Resources Committee and the Presidential Awards for Excellence Committee now report
to Staff Council.