Wright State University Staff Council Minutes
Wednesday, June 9, 2004
Present: Council Members: Donna Curtin, Linda Dunbar, Mary Healea, Joyce Howes, Micki Stamps, Daisy Stieger, Carol Vuckovich, and Susan Wehmeyer.
Other: Bill Rickert
The University Staff Council met on June 9, 2004 , at 2:30-4:00 pm , in Room 267 University Hall.
1. The name of University Staff Council will be changed to WSU Staff Council
2. The Kettering Center and the Office of Human Resources will both report to Bill Rickert beginning July 1, 2004 , which should provide the structure for developing supervisor and employee training.
3. Letters to retirees have been sent out informing them of their privileges to use the library and having a WSU e-mail account. Some kind of “emeritus” title is still being discussed and may require a work affiliation with WSU after retirement.
4. Cabinet is discussing having a training day in the summer and one in December.
A couple of years ago, Lillie Howard held training sessions on different aspects of student services for staff.
5. Holiday Week Schedule: Cabinet has asked Bill Rickert for a proposal for the scheduling of the week between Christmas and New Year's Day in 2005. There will be no changes for this year.
6. A replacement for Mike O'Neal on the council will be named. Joyce Howes will advise.
WSU Staff Council Schedule for 2004-05
In 2004-05, the University Staff Council will begin using its new name, WSU Staff Council, and the meetings will be more structured than the free-flowing style used in the past. We will continue to meet bi-monthly on Wednesday afternoons, at 2:30-4:00 . Meetings will be scheduled for the fourth Wednesday in September (after the busy start of Fall Quarter); the second Wednesdays of November, January, and March; the fourth Wednesday in May (after the Budget Presentation to the Board of Trustees); and the second Wednesday in June for a wrap-up meeting.
Tentative agenda items discussed for each meeting are:
September NCA Self-study (staff involvement–staff of various subcommittees and staff for giving perspective on various issues)
November 1. Training with Allan Boggs and Robert Sweeney
There will be a significant amount of funds for training. Spending it wisely and with good results may lead to acquiring more money. Initial training suggestions:
a. Liabilities – violence and sexual harassment
b. Supervisory training
c. Care of students training.
2. Pilot Performance Management Tool with Allan Boggs
This is an online, ongoing system to reward specific competencies of employees. WSU Staff Council could get exposure to the details of this tool after the pilot program. Possibly, the participants of the pilot could give input. Also we could have a hands-on workshop before the regular meeting. WSU Staff Council is a key group for approving the tool.
January Capital Plan and Building and Grounds with Vicky Davidson
(buildings and parking space issues)
March Strategic Plan with Robert Sweeney
May Budget with Keith Ralston (after BOT Budget Presentation)
June Wrap-up for the year and agenda for the following year
1. Unclassified (exempt) Employees Compensation Study
This compensation study will be conducted by the PMG group, the same group that recently did the study of the fiscal officers' positions. These studies are meant to analyze the position, not the person in the position.
The Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) was discussed. This system allows students to look up their degree program and figures what courses are still needed for that degree. There are some problems with the system, since it is not fully implemented. It was agreed that this topic needed no further discussion in the staff council meetings.
3. Faculty and Staff Suggestions
It was agreed that there needs to be some vehicle for faculty and staff to have an easily accessible way to make suggestions about various things at the university.
A suggestion box for ideas, recommendations, and complaints could be made available either at a location on campus or on the WSU website.
4. Follow-through on Items Discussed in Staff Council Meetings
It was agreed that there was not enough follow-through on the minute items from Staff Council meetings. It was suggested that a list of previous recommendations from the group be identified, i.e. graduate tuition waiver taxes. This would include the action items and their current status.
5. WINGS Group
It was also agreed that a Staff Council group will be set up on WINGS soon, so members can discuss things there if needed. There also should be a link to WINGS on the Human Resources website.
The next meeting of the WSU Staff Council will be held on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 , at 2:30-4:00 pm , in Room 267 University Hall.