Unclassified Staff Advisory Council
Thursday, August 8, 2013
157E Student Union
In Attendance: Chris Bethel, Pam Bowers, Misty Cox, Jonathan Jackson, Audwin Jones, Megan McCurdy, Sheila Nahrgang, Jenny Papadakis, Aaron Skira, Craig This, Sommer Todd, Cindy Vanzant, Melissa Vanzant, Jeff Wehmeyer
Absent with Regrets: David Finnie, Susan Kracus
Absent: Bev Denlinger, Steven Johnson, Liane Muhlenkamp, Jacqueline Robinson
Call to Order: Audwin Jones called the meeting to order at 9:02am.
- Agenda Items
- USAC Overview -- Where USAC fits into the overall scheme of things: presented by past Chair, Craig This
- Craig provided a diagram to illustrate where USAC fits into the University hierarchy.
- CSAC has 22 elected members. Elections are held every 2 years. Representatives have to be a voting member to serve on a committee.
- Staff Council is comprised of leadership from USAC, CSAC, and LSAC. Meetings are held once a month. The Associate Provost for Faculty and Staff Affairs attends bi-monthly.
- USAC participated in 15 ad hoc committees during FY 12/13
- There are plenty of opportunities to participate in committees, which serve as an excellent opportunity to get more involved in the University.
- Summary of USAC bylaws and member responsibility: presented by Secretary, Megan McCurdy
- Megan gave an overview of the purpose of USAC and the responsibilities of the members.
- The updated bylaws and charter document is available on the USAC website.
- 2013/2014 Goals Discussion: presented by Chair, Audwin Jones
- "You can't move forward without looking back."
- Our goals this year include:
- Respecting and cultivating the groudwork laid and ground gained over the years and build from there.
- Developing new initiatives/goals based on feedback from USAC representatives and our constituencies.
- Working to increase and improve University-wide communication.
- Audwin received an email from a university employee regarding truncation of vacation and lack of adequate time for communication
- There was discussion of a communication committee.
- Mission Driven Allocation (MDA) budget model: Strategy Execution Committee update
- Barb Bullock held a special session of Staff Council representatives to get a feel for where units are in terms of the MDA model transition. Questions were provided prior to the meeting to initiate a discussion.
- While there were only a handful of representatives available to meet, much was accomplished. See Craig’s notes for additional information.
- Question posed: Who is the contact for the MDA Execution Committee?
- New Business
- Town Hall Meeting
- Two meetings a year
- Fall meeting is in October, which is typically a combined meeting with CSAC.
- Spring meeting is in April or May, and is a separate meeting.
- Pose to have the combined meeting in Spring so as to include the new Associate Provost for introductory purposes.
- Audwin will invite Provost Nurayanan to attend the Fall USAC town hall meeting.
- Megan will schedule a meeting time.
- Associate Provost search is still ongoing.
- Expectation for hire is January 1, 2013.
- Turnover of USAC Chair position discussion
- USAC will table the idea of going back to 2-year Chair and Secretary positions for continuity purposes.
- Possibly restructure the current election process to allow the current chair to run again.
- Redesign the responsibilities of officers to alleviate some of the pressure of the Chair.
- 2-year term for Secretary
- Unclassified staff members are only allowed to accrue 360 hours of vacation time; classified staff can accrue 600 hours.
- Misty Cox will look into this further.
- Committee Representative signup
- USAC subcommittees
- Bylaws and Charter
- Community Service
- Compensation, Benefits, and Equity
- Communications and Marketing
- Nominations / Fundraising
- University committees
- Athletic Council
- Dining Services
- Parking Services
- University Diversity Advisory Council
- Wellness and Recreation
- WSU Bookstore Committee
- Staff Council Human Resources Committee
- OSCHE (Ohio Staff Council of Higher Education)
- Search committee involvement opportunities
- Raidersgiving received the FY 12/13 ‘Spirit of Innovation’ President’s Award for Excellence.
- Now accepting volunteers for the FY 13/14 event
- Questions or issues from other unclassified staff in attendance
- We Serve U: Volunteer Fair is September 19, 2013
- Schedule Reminders
- Staff Development Day – Friday, August 9, 2013, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Student Union Apollo Room
- Staff Council – Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m., 267 University Hall
Adjourn meeting: Audwin Jones adjourned the meeting at 10:32am.