Unclassified Staff Advisory Council
 

MINUTES

August 11, 2011
9:00–10:30 am

156B&C Student Union


IN ATTENDANCE

Council Members: David Bringhurst, Wendy Riddell, Craig This, Jen McCamis, Audwin Jones, Nancy Pestian, Jacqueline Robinson, Cindy Vanzant, Jacqui Neal
Representatives:
Curt Pederson, Mary Healea, Marian Brainerd, Jamie Norris, Wendy Chetcuti, , Courtney Smith, David Finnie, Melissa Vanzant, Colleen Hayden, Chris Wydman, Marty Jenkins
Guests:
none

A) Call meeting to order—Meeting called to order at 9 a.m. by David Bringhurst, USAC chair.
B) Discussion and approval of minutes from July 14 meeting—Minutes were approved as presented
C) Introductions—New attendees were introduced. Attendance sheet will be passed around at the next meeting.
D) USAC Subcommittee Updates

  1. Bylaws and Charter—Had first meeting and began discussions, but nothing to present to the group yet.
  2. Community Service—Have not had a first meeting yet. We Serve U will wrap up on Friday. Great response from WSU community so far. If anyone has ideas for community service projects for this year, please bring those ideas forward to the committee.
  3. Compensation, Benefits, and Equity—First meeting was an opportunity for introductions and to discuss meeting format. They do need help from USAC on direction. Nancy Pestian agreed to serve as the third year member on the committee. They only have three voting members so far so and need another, according to the charter.
  4. Communications & Marketing—Had first meeting and began discussions, but nothing to present to the group yet. David and Brandy will attend the next meeting.
  5. Nominations & Fundraising—No meeting yet and since the majority of their work is at the end of the academic year. No meeting has been scheduled at this time.

E) University Committee Updates

  1. Athletic Council—No issues to bring forward.
  2. Dining Services— No issues to bring forward.
  3. Parking Services— No issues to bring forward.
  4. Semester Conversion—On hiatus over summer, but updates are being posted on the semesters website: www.wright.edu/semesters. By September 1, the committee should have everything needed to assist students with planning for the transition. This information will also be posted to the website. Need to work with the colleges on the fourth year (since the committee only asked for three years) for student planning. This will not be available for September 1, but they are working through it.
  5. Sustainability— No issues to bring forward.
  6. University Diversity Advocacy Council— No issues to bring forward.
  7. University Staff Council— No issues to bring forward.
  8. Wellness & Recreation— No issues to bring forward.
  9. WSU Bookstore Committee— No issues to bring forward.
  10. Staff Council Human Resources Committee— No issues to bring forward.
  11. OSCHE—Need a description of either USAC or Staff Council to include on the OSCHE website. OSCHE is looking to create a site that will show benefit packages of all of the member institutions. The Compensation, Benefits, and Equity subcommittee can assist with this.
  12. Lake Campus—No issues to bring forward.

F) Items for Discussion

  1. Discussion on action items/issues to address for 2011–2012
    • Article in Dayton Daily News about charter universities—What would this mean for unclassified staff? USAC would to know more about this and how we can help communicate the information to the staff (possibly through a special meeting).
    • New budgeting model, Responsibility Center Management—We would like to know more about it and how it would affect the unclassified staff.
    • Benefits—Haven’t heard any word on changes, but wondering if our portion of our health insurance premium will go up next year since an increase is included in the faculty contract. Also, would like some clarification on work at home, bereavement, and calamity day policies.
    • Budget cuts—Where do we, as unclassified staff, have input on this? Would like to be more proactive instead of reactive on this. What is the value to the administration to have USAC involved in possible talks (we represent 1400 people, we can help inform them or give them data, help improve morale)? How much input does the faculty senate president have? Should USAC have the same opportunity for input?
    • Staff evaluations—Need to follow up on this, resurvey the staff to gauge their satisfaction on how the old issues (brought up in the last staff survey) have been resolved.
    • Employee separation rights and process

G) Meeting adjourned—Meeting was adjourned at 10:34 a.m. by David Bringhurst, USAC chair.
H) Next Meeting—Thursday, September 8, in 157 Student Union

     
3640 Colonel Glenn Highway - Dayton, Ohio - 45435
Copyright Information © 2006 | Accessibility Information
Last updated: Mon. Aug-29-11, 11:41
Please send comments to: wendy.riddell@wright.edu
Wright State University