Pre-Meeting Your New Roommate(s)
We strongly suggest you contact your roommate(s) before you arrive at Wright State University. There are many things to discuss and coordinate, and living with a new person or group of people in a new place can present challenges. You and your roommates may become friends right away, or it may take some time. Getting a head start on that relationship can make things easier in late August.
The following are a few conversation starters that are helpful when you contact your new roommate(s):
- hometown and high school
- family life
- friends at home
- school activities
- WSU major
- morning person or night owl?
- neat or messy?
- religious preferences
- music preferences
- movie and TV favorites
- willingness to loan things (computers, clothes, car, money)
- feelings about overnight guests
- particular habits
- working during college
- what are good moods like vs. bad moods?
- what I'm like when I'm feeling down
- what annoys me
- what makes me laugh
- how I like to relax
- how I handle stress
- what I'm like when I first meet people
Once You've Had Time to Chat
- "An important similarity between us may be..."
- "An important difference between us may be..."
- "I think we might have to compromise on..."
- "I look forward to learning more about..."
- "We should talk more about..."
Roommates will not agree on everything, and that is okay. Having a basic understanding of each other's needs helps build a foundation for a good year together. In fact, the university encourages residents to complete a roommate agreement within the first few days of moving on campus in an effort to establish a mutual consideration of roommate preferences.
The Resident Assistants (RAs) on your hall may also help you and your roommates with the transition to university life. RAs are students who live with you in the residence halls at WSU and are trained to assist roommates with concerns or conflicts.
Despite all this preparation, keep in mind that sometimes room or roommate assignments change from your initial assignment through Move-in Weekend because of cancellations. We encourage you to check the site throughout the summer for any changes (available after July 27).