On this page:
There is a growing need for medical scribes in the healthcare field. Medical scribes assist physicians by documenting a variety of different aspects of the patient's case, allowing the physician to have more time to focus on the patient's care. Medical scribes typically document details about the physical exam, procedures, order, laboratory tests, and their results, medications, and prescriptions, as well as discharge and follow-up instructions.
The scribe-physician relationship allows the scribe the opportunity to begin to think like a doctor. Students find that working as a scribe can help them be better students and stand out to medical school admission committees.
If you are interested in becoming a medical scribe, our medical documentation and scribing course might be for you.
- Course offered summer and spring semesters for one credit hour
- Fully online with optional* clinical days
- Sessions led by ABC Scribes, Ltd.; Optional clinical days are off-campus at Kettering Health Network in Miamisburg
- Must be at sophomore standing or higher
- Must have completed a course in medical terminology or anatomy and physiology
- Limited to the first 20 eligible students to register
- A minimum of eight students required to offer a course
*Optional clinical days are designed to provide you give the option to shadow a physician (in the ER, surgery, pediatrics, and a number of other specialties) in addition to gaining hands-on electronic medical record experience. Not attending clinical days will not adversely impact your grade.
- Post-baccalaureate students
- Advanced pre-health students
- All areas of health care, including medicine, physician assisting, nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, or chiropractic
- Students preparing for a gap year
- Students with advanced English and typing skills
- Basic components of a medical record
- Parts of the history and physical exam
- Elements of the billable document
- Basic medical terminology
- Chart coding
- Hospital structure and safety
- HIPAA regulations
- EPIC software software
- Certificate of completion in medical documentation and scribing
- Opportunity to shadow a scribe physician
- Experience scribing medical records
- Opportunity for employment (based on availability and completion of the workshop)
- HIPAA training
- Marketable skills and training
For more information email the Pre-Health Program or call 937-775-3802