If you are a person with a disability and need assistance when a building evacuation or other emergency is underway:
- Move to the nearest stairwell or safe exit. If you need help, ask someone to assist you to the nearest stairwell or safe exit.
- Make your presence known to others in the area.
- NOTE: Use of elevators during emergencies are only permitted when:
- Severe weather/tornado conditions exist.
- Instructed by emergency services personnel.
- Ask someone to notify emergency response personnel of your location and your need to be evacuated.
- Ask someone to explain the nature of the emergency.
- If necessary, ask someone to guide you to the nearest safe exit and to a safe location.
Assisting the Hearing Impaired
- Explain the nature of the emergency by speaking slowly and clearly in front of the person or by the written word.
- If necessary, guide person to nearest safe exit and to a safe location.