This Emergency Action Plan (EAP) is intended to assist Wright State University employees, students, and visitors in preparing for and responding to fire and evacuations while at the University.
Evacuation Chairs/Stair Chairs - Specially designed chairs for the evacuation of a person down a stair enclosure in a controlled and safe manner (use only if trained).
Assembly Point- A designated point for assembling in case of an emergency.
- Know where exits are in all of the buildings you frequently visit on campus.
- Be familiar with the alert message that will be broadcast on the building annunciator system during a fire or evacuation.
- Have a personal emergency kit and make a communications plan.
- Students with disabilities should refer to the “Students with Disabilities Emergency Plan” available from the Office of Disability Services.
Drills will be conducted in academic buildings and residence halls as prescribed by the Ohio Fire Code. Participation is required by all building occupants.
Exit signs are present to identify paths to safely evacuate a building in the event of a fire.
Notification of a fire may occur by the following:
- Building Notification System Fire Alarm (strobes and siren)
- Other individuals in the building
- Activate the closest Fire Alarm if possible
- Call University Police at 937-775-2111 or 911 when it is safe to do so
- Notify occupants as you evacuate yelling “FIRE”
- Take personal belongings if it doesn’t jeopardize your safety
- DO NOT USE ELEVATORS!
- Close doors behind you as you leave
- Feel for hot doors with the back of your hand before opening the door
- Help those who need assistance if possible. Note their location and report it to the first responder
- Move away from the building after evacuation to your designated assembly area
- DO NOT re-enter the building until instructed to do so by emergency response personnel
If you become trapped in a building:
- Find a room with a window. Enter and close the door
- If smoke begins to enter around the door; seal with rags, tape, or another material
- Call Wright State Police at 937-775-2111 or 911, if no phone is available signal from a window
- Shout at regular intervals to alert emergency response personnel of your location
Fire Safety Tips
- Keep combustibles away from equipment that generate heat, flame, or sparks.
- Be cautious with heating appliances (portable heaters, toasters, etc.) Review Physical Plant’s policy on space heaters.
- Proper storage and handling of flammable liquids, solids, and gases. Contact Environmental Health and Safety at 937-775-2215.
- Make sure you know two ways to evacuate from where your office or room is. (Elevators don’t count!)
- If your clothes should catch on fire, don’t run! Stop, drop, and roll to smother the fire.
Fire extinguishers should only be used only if you are trained and it is safe to do so. Fire extinguishers are designed to put out a fire the size of an office trash can, no larger.
Fire Extinguisher Operating Procedure
Pull the pin
Aim the extinguisher nozzle at the base of the fire
Squeeze or press the handle
Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire and discharge the contents of the extinguisher