Wright State University’s institutional data are to be treated as a university-wide asset that will be readily available to support evidence-based decision-making and informed action.
In order to ensure accurate reporting and effective use of data for decision making, the Wright State University Data Governance Program will manage the quality, consistency, usability, security, accessibility, and availability of institutional data.
The scope of the Data Governance Committee applies only to institutional data that are created, received, maintained or transmitted by Wright State University. (i.e., student registration, financial aid, human resources/payroll, institutional research, etc). Data generated by faculty or students for the purposes of individual academic research will not be subject to this Data Governance Program.
The Data Governance Program will cover both Dayton and Lake campuses as well as additional off-site entities that create, receive, maintain or transmit institutional data.
The Data Governance Program will
- Establish process stewards for each data element and confirm processes are in place to ensure data is being accurately recorded.
- Create and oversee processes and procedures by which all external reports are reviewed for completeness and accuracy before they are released.
- Work with stakeholders to assess the need for additional data elements and determine the best location for those elements to be stored.
- Establish and maintain policies governing user access to institutional data that follow best practices and are compliant with federal and state regulations.
- Adopt, communicate and oversee implementation of University-wide standards for data administration aspects of business processes, data definitions, data dictionaries, data warehouse elements, and business intelligence tools.
- Engage in priority-setting and policy setting as related to the above.
- Recommend and coordinate structures and subcommittees to accomplish the charge and related tasks outlined above.
- Institutional data is the property of Wright State University and shall be managed as a key asset.
- Unnecessary duplication of institutional data is discouraged.
- Quality standards for institutional data shall be defined and monitored.
- Institutional data shall be protected.
- Institutional data shall be accessible according to defined needs and roles.
- Institutional metadata shall be recorded, managed, and utilized.
- Institutional representatives will be held accountable for their roles and responsibilities.
- Necessary maintenance of institutional data shall be defined.
- Resolution of issues related to institutional data shall follow consistent processes
WSU Data Governance Roles
Executive Steering Committee
- Fulfilled by President’s Cabinet (not Council)
- Champion data governance program
- Set strategic priorities
- Resolve disputes
Data Governance Leadership Team
- Associate Vice President, Financial Operations
- Chief Information Officer
- Data Governance/Strategy Manager
- Data Modeler, Institutional Research and Effectiveness
- Director Institutional Research & Effectiveness
- Strategic Planning and Resource Analyst, Institutional Research and Effectiveness
- Programmer Analyst II, Computing and Telecommunication Services
- Vice President of Enrollment Management and Chief Recruitment Officer
Responsibilities include oversight for:
- Project portfolios
- Data definitions
- Data quality
- Acquisition/retirement of data solutions with focus on simplification and focus of solution portfolio.