Visit our Coronavirus website for all COVID-19 information and resources.


There is much excitement and planning that happens with an engagement and upcoming marriage. Be sure to take the time to coordinate your benefits with your new dependent. Marriage is considered a “qualifying life event” in terms of your benefits. This means you can update your benefit enrollments within 31 days of the marriage without having to wait for the next open enrollment period. The following items are a few things you should consider during this life change event. 


Medical, Dental, Vision, and Prescription Benefits

If you plan on adding a spouse to your health benefits or shifting to your spouse’s insurance plan, you will need to complete the Healthcare Enrollment Form within 31 days of the marriage. The enrollment form must indicate the official event date and supporting documentation will be required.

Flexible Spending Account

You may elect to participate in or change the amount you contribute to your Health Care and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA). In order to do this, you need to submit an Election/Change Form within 31 days of the marriage. 

Life Insurance

Consider purchasing or increasing Voluntary Term or Group Universal Life Insurance coverage on yourself, as well as Voluntary Dependent Life Insurance coverage for your spouse and his or her child(ren) within 31 days of the marriage. Be sure to update the beneficiaries indicated on your life insurance policy by completing a Beneficiary Designation Form.


Contact your retirement vendor to verify and/or update your beneficiary designations. You will also need to notify your vendor of an address or name change. Contact information for the Retirement Vendors may be found on this site.

Fee Remission

The dependents of eligible faculty and staff are encouraged to enroll in classes at the university. Complete the Dependent Statement for Fee Remission Authorization to establish fee remission eligibility for your new spouse.

Faculty and Staff Assistance Program

Adjusting to married life is a fun and exciting adventure; it can also be stressful! The Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) is a free benefit that offers confidential counseling and referral services to you, your household, and dependents living away from home. 


You should revisit your Federal (W-4) and State (IT-4) tax documents to ensure you are claiming the correct number of allowances and exemptions.

Personal Information

Name and Address Change

Complete the Address/Name Change Form (PDF) to update your name, address and emergency contact information. If you are changing your name, you will be asked to provide a social security card indicating the new name for verification purposes. Visit the Name/Address Change section of Life Events for important additional information.

Direct Deposit

If you are changing bank accounts or want to change your direct deposit set-up, complete a Direct Deposit Authorization Form and submit it to the Payroll Department, 200 University Hall.