Visit our Coronavirus website for all COVID-19 information and resources.


If you and your spouse are going through the divorce process, the following items will help with the transition. Divorce is considered a “qualifying life event” in terms of your benefits.  This means, you can update your benefit enrollments within thirty one (31) days of the divorce without having to wait for the next open enrollment period.


Medical, Dental, Vision, and Prescription Benefits

Effective on the date of the divorce, your spouse will no longer be eligible for benefits. You must submit the Healthcare Enrollment Form within thirty one (31) days of the divorce. The enrollment form must indicate the official event date and supporting court documentation will be required. Your spouse will be notified of eligibility to enroll in COBRA benefits; a current home address for your spouse is needed to send this notification.  

Flexible Spending Account

You may elect to participate in or change the amount you contribute to your Health Care and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA). In order to do this, you need to submit a Flexible Spending Agreement Form (PDF) within thirty one (31) days of the divorce.

Life Insurance

You should review the Voluntary Term or Group Universal Life Insurance coverage purchased for yourself and Voluntary Dependent Life Insurance coverage for your child(ren). Be sure to update the beneficiaries indicated on your life insurance policy by completing a Beneficiary Designation Form.


Contact your retirement vendor to verify and/or update your beneficiary designations. You will also need to notify your vendor of an address or name change. Contact information for the Retirement Vendors may be found on this site.

Fee Remission

Your spouse will no longer be eligible for fee remission, take time to review and update dependents listed under your fee remission coverage. Complete the Dependent Statement for Fee Remission Authorization to update eligible dependents.

Faculty and Staff Assistance Program

Divorce can be a very emotional and stressful process. The Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) is a free benefit that offers confidential counseling and referral services to you, your household, and dependents living away from home.  


You should revisit your federal (W-4) and state (IT-4) tax documents to ensure you are claiming the correct number of allowances and exemptions.

Personal Information

Name and Address Change

Complete the Address/Name Change Form to update your name, address and emergency contact information. If you are changing your name, you will be asked to provide a social security card indicating the new name for verification purposes. Visit the Name/Address Change section of Life Events for important additional information.

Direct Deposit

If you are changing bank accounts or want to change your direct deposit set-up, complete a Direct Deposit Authorization Form and submit it to the Payroll Department, 301D University Hall.