Michael’s House is a children’s advocacy center (CAC) located in Greene County and to understand what a CAC is, it helps to understand what children face without one. Without a CAC, a child may end up having to tell the worst story of his or her life repeatedly to doctors, police, lawyers, therapists, investigators, judges, and others. A fragmented system may prevent them from getting the help they need to heal once the investigation is over. A place like Michael’s House changes that experience.
When police or child protective services believe a child is being abused, the child is brought to Michael’s House, a safe, child-focused environment – by a caregiver or other “safe” adult. At the CAC, the child tells their story once to a trained interviewer who knows the right questions to ask. Then, based on the interview, a multidisciplinary team (MDT) that includes medical providers, law enforcement, mental health, prosecution, child protective services, victim advocacy, and other professionals makes decisions together about how to help the child. Under one roof, Michael’s Houses offers a wide range of services such as therapy, medical evaluations, courtroom preparation, victim advocacy, case management, and more.
Your support now is more important than ever. Without the support of the community, children can suffer in silence for years. Instead, with your help, communities can express care for our kids through a place like Michael’s House. Your partnership and your voice are crucial in this life-changing work.
Did You Know?
- Child sexual abuse is likely the most prevalent health problem children face the most serious array of consequences. About 1 in 10 children experience child sexual abuse before their 18th birthday. Most children never report their abuse.
- A history of child sexual abuse can make children more vulnerable to trafficking and child sexual exploitation.
- 90% of children who are victims of sexual abuse know their abuser. 40% who are sexually abused are abused by older or more powerful children.
- Reducing one-on-one adult/child situations can greatly reduce the risk of child sexual abuse.
- Michael’s House serves the most complex, serious cases of child abuse in Greene County, and 350-400 children are served each year.
- In 2018, 70% of child abuse-related fatalities in the U.S. involved children younger than 3 years, and children younger than 1 year accounted for 46% of all fatalities.
- As a result of child abuse, the United States spends well over $124 billion in direct and indirect costs.
- Michael’s House is one of 900 accredited children’s advocacy centers in the country.
- Michael’s House has been serving abused children for over 10 years in the community.
- Mental health services are on-site at Michael’s House and provided by specially trained therapists.
- Surveys show that 98% of families strongly agree Michael’s House provided them the resources to support their child and to respond to the child’s future needs.